Sunday, April 15, 2012

Odissi Ranga Mala オディッシィ ランガ マーラ


(日本語は下の方にありますのでスクロールダウンしてください)

As many of you know, I have been studying one of the classical Indian dance forms called Odissi for some years.

I was introduced to Odissi in 2005 when my current dance teacher, Sarala Dandekar, performed here on Maui. I immediately fell in love with its immense beauty and spiritual background. Sarala started to teach classes in spring 2006 and became my teacher. Ever since then, I have continued to deepen my admiration for the dance.

In fall of 2010, I decided to go to India and further my dance training with Jhelum-tai (Sarala’s teacher), at which point Sarala asked me if I would like to go through a graduation training called Manchpravesh. It is a marking point to demonstrate what I have learned and my intention to further commit to my practice. It was a great honor, and the prospect of realizing this tremendous dream was difficult for me to fathom. I remember crying out of joy and appreciation and feeling something bigger than me pushing my back and saying, "Akari, go for it."

After a year and half of preparation, this Manchpravesh is about to be held and to be shared with my familie and friends, and the Maui community which has been embracing me and supporting me for the past 10 years.

I will be dancing 6 difference pieces (on my own).
There will be an intermission.
After the program, a reception will follow, and light refreshment (Indian food) will be served for free of charge.

Date: Saturday, April 21st
Time: Door opens at 4:30 pm & Ceremony begins at 5:00 pm
Location: Montessori School of Maui (2933 Baldwin Avenue, Makawao)

Throughout my life, in times of happiness and sorrow, dance has been always there for me. When I was an elementary school student, I had an experience of being bullied for 2 years, but I was dancing a traditional Japanese folk dance called Minbu. When I danced, I felt everything was okay. When I was a high school student, I struggled with eating disorders for 3 years, but I was dancing another form of Japanese dance called Yosakoi, and I was also studying various styles of dance at Suga Jazz Dance Studio. When I danced, I could connect to myself as well as the source of life. As you know, I have been going through another challenging time of my life for the past several months. Again, dance saved me. For this immense blessing, I am eager to thank dance and God in some ways (I am not referring to a particular God, but I believe in something bigger than us, so I call it God), but what I hear them saying is, “Akari, the best way to thank us is to dance. Dance for yourself, and dance for others while you think of us.” So I follow their advice, and there is nothing more that rejoices me to know if my dancing ever resonates the sacred space in your heart.

In Appreciation,

Akari

(Japanese)

皆さんもご存知の通り、過去何年間かインドの伝統舞踊の一つであります、オディッシィダンスを学んでまいりました。

オディッシィダンスに出会ったのは2005年のこと。私の現在の先生であるサララ・ダンデカー先生があるお祭りで踊っているのを見たときです。そこで今まで全く見たことのなかった踊りの美しさと踊りの持っているスピリチュアルな背景に強く魅かれました。翌年2006年の春にサララ先生がマウイでの教室を開き、生徒の一人となりました。それからというもの、この踊りにどんどんと引き込まれていったのでした。

2010年の秋に「インドへ行って、もっと学びたい!」と思いました。サララ先生の先生であるジェーラム先生に何度かマウイでお会いしたことがあるのですが、彼女の舞踊学校へ行かせて頂きたいと思ったのです。そこでサララが「それではインドに行く前に、マンチャプラベーシャをして行ったらどかしら?」と提案してくれたのです。マンチャプラベーシャとは日本で言う免許皆伝のような、黒帯を頂くような、一人前になるための修行のような、師匠に認められて初めて行うデビュー公演のことです。サララ先生からそのようなお話をして頂いたときは、その祝福の大きさを分かりきれない戸惑いがありながらも、心から嬉しさと有り難い想いが溢れてきて涙したのを覚えています。そして何か大きな存在が「あかり、ゴー!」と背中を押してくれたのを感じました。

そして1年半の準備期間を経て、大切な家族、友人達、そして過去10年に渡り私を支えてきてくれたマウイコミュニティと分かち合う日が近づいてきました。

6曲の踊りを一人で踊らせて頂きます。
最初の3曲の後に休憩が入ります。
全て踊り終わりましたら、ちょっとしたインド料理を来てくださった皆さまに食べて頂けるように準備しました。

日にち:4月21日(土)
時間:16時半開場 17時開演
場所:モンテソーリスクールの講堂 (2933 Baldwin Avenue, Makawao)

生まれてきてから今まで、嬉しいときも悲しいときも踊りがいつも共にいてくれました。2年近くいじめられていた小学生時代は、民舞という東北の伝統舞踊を習っていました。踊っているときだけは全てが大丈夫で、清々しく感じたのを覚えています。摂食障害に苦しんだ高校生時代は、よさこいを踊り、新体操を踊り、スガジャズダンススタジオで様々な踊りを学んでいました。踊っているときは自分自身と繋がることができ、そして生命の源と繋がれるように感じました。ご存知の方もいらっしゃるかと思いますが、ここ最近の何ヶ月かは人生に何度か訪れる辛い経験の一つを味わっていました。そしてまた踊りが救ってくれたのです。この感謝してもしきれない祝福に、私はどうにかして「踊り」に対し、そして神様にお礼をしたいのですが、何せその「二人」は「私たちにお礼をしたいのなら、踊ってちょうだいな。あかり自身のために。そして他の方々のために。踊りながら私たちのことを思ってください。それが一番のお礼になります。」と言うのでその通りにしようと思います。もし私の踊りが、見てくださっている方々の心の中の神聖な場所と共鳴できたら、それ以上私の魂を潤わせるものはありません。

合掌

安佳里

No comments:

Post a Comment