Sunday, May 12, 2013

What I Think on Mother's Day 母の日に想う

My mom holding my 3-months-old baby brother, Michimasa.
I am behind her (almost 4 years old).
生後3ヶ月の弟、充昌を抱いている母。
私は4歳になる数ヶ月前。母の後ろにいるのが私。

On Mother's Day, I called my mom who lives in Japan.
As always I said, "Thank you for birthing me to this world."
Then she responded as she does every year, "Thank you for making me a mother."

For me, she was the first person who showed me ways to experience energy that is like the honey of the Universe.

My mom when she was young.
若い母

Because of her, I have been always able to trust in goodness of the world, people, and myself despite of horrible things that happen in the world as well as within my heart. While I was growing up, she was a great example of unconditional love. Come to think of it, I have never ever heard her speaking ill of other people. She always sees positive in everyone and easily makes friends with any stranger. I especially remember her talking to older people and some people whom many people avoided (maybe due to their handicap or appearance such as big scars on face). As a child, I thought that she probably wanted them to know that they have a place in the society, and that they were accepted as much as everyone else was. She somehow knew the magic to make those guarded people feel safe around her. At a general store, I remember a bit scary looking older man used to buy me ice cream whenever he saw us.

My mom at the Coming of Age ceremony (age 20)
成人した母

She became a mother when she was 28 years old. (I'm the first born child.)
I am 30 years old now. When she was 30, she already had a 2-year-old under her full care (a really stubborn, energetic, curious one who always asked, "Why?" and "I can do it myself!")
I tried to imagine having a 2-year-old of my own.
I felt quite natural. I did not feel the distanced, stranger-like feeling like when I used to feel when I was 18, 19, or 20 years old.
At this point of my life, many of my classmates are already mothers and fathers. I guess we have reached that age.

Young mom; quite fashionable
若いときの母 オシャレさんじゃないか

I do not have any plan of becoming a mother anytime soon. Fortunately, nowadays, women can give birth in 30s and 40s, and my parents are healthy and patient/considerate. They have never once asked me when they could see faces of grandchildren.

I would like to focus on dancing for now.

Perhaps I am selfish to say so, and I know that we cannot always take our health for granted, but I know that my parents sincerely wish me to be happy (please read this blog entry about that), and  they know that my deepest happiness comes from dancing at this stage of my life.

When time ripens, I look forward to becoming one. If I could have my own child or adopted child, I look forward to consulting my mother for parenting wisdom and asking her, "Was I like her (or him)?" She would probably say, "Yes, she (or he) is just like you." I hope that I could show my child that the world is a beautiful place and life is wonderful no matter what just like how my mother did for me.

Me inside
私はあのお腹の中

(Japanese)
母の日には日本にいる母に電話しました。
毎年恒例の台詞になってしまったけれど、本当にそう思うので、心を込めて「生んでくれてありがとう。」と言うと、母も毎年同じく「生まれてきて私をお母さんにしてくれてありがとう。」と言うのでした。

母は、この宇宙のハチミツのような神秘的で甘美なエネルギーを感じる方法を、初めて示してくれた人でした。

母のおかげで、世界でそして自分の心の中でどんなにひどいことが起きていようが、世界と人々と自分自身の中の良き性質を信じ続けてくることが出来ました。大きくなっていく上で、母は無条件の愛とはどういうものかを見せてくれました。そう言えば、母が誰かの悪口を言っていることを、一度たりとも聞いたことがありません。どんな人でもその人の良心を見つめ、誰とでも友だちになることが出来る人です。子どもの頃の思い出の中には、特にお年寄りや、一般に人々から避けられている人たち(障害を持っていたり、顔に大きな傷があって怖そうな人であったり)に特に話しかけていたように思います。子どもながらに思ったのは、「あの方達に、この社会に皆と同じように居場所があり、受けいられていることをさりげなく知って欲しいと思っているのだろうな」ということでした。少しガードがかかっているような人たちのガードをじんわりと解いてしまう、そんな魔法を母は知っているようでした。あるスーパーでは、私たち親子を見る度に、私にアイスクリームを買ってくれた強面のおじさんがいたりしました。

My mom and Monkey Akari
母とあかり猿

母は28歳のときに母となりました。(私が第一子。)
私は今30歳となりました。母が30歳のときには、既に2歳の子どもがいたわけです。(しかも、とても強情でエネルギッシュで好奇心に溢れ、「どうして?」と「自分でやるの!」を繰り返す子を!)
今の私が2歳の子を育てているところを想像してみました。
案外容易に出来ました。18、19、20歳のときなどと違って、現実味がありました。
今では級友たちの中には母、父になっている人が沢山います。気がついたらそういう齢に私たちはなっていたのですね。

今の私には、近い将来母親になる予定は全く以てありません。
幸いなことに、30代、40代での出産も珍しいことではなくなりました。
そして私の両親は健康でいてくれていますし、優しく気を利かせてくれているようで、「孫の顔が見たいな」というようなことは全く言われません。

今の私は踊りに集中したいと思っています。

わがままかもしれません。私たちの健康状態はいつ変わるやも分かりません。でも両親は私の幸せを心から願ってくれていることは分かっています。(そのことについてはこのブログエントリーをどうぞ。)そしてその幸せは今は踊りから得ていることも両親は知っています。

時が熟したら、そのときには母親になることを楽しみにしています。出来ないこともあるかもしれません。それはそのときです。もしなれることがあれば、もしくは養子をもらうようなことがあれば、母に子育てのコツを尋ねることもあるでしょうし、「私もこんなんだった?」と聞くこともあるでしょう。そして、「そうそう、あかりそっくり。」と言われることでしょう。そして母がしてくれたように、何があろうとこの世は美しい、生きるということは素晴らしいということを示唆してあげらればと思います。

  

I've been enjoying Mike Song's work lately. He made this very cute and cool tribute to all the mothers by dancing with his mom! It reminds you how mighty mothers are! At the end of the video, you can see the dancers' moms. These men used to be someone's little pumpkins. They're all big and grown up now, but when I think of the fact that we all came from mothers, and we were all babies once, I feel loving feeling toward every person in this world. His mom is super cool. Check it out! 

最近マイク・ソングさんのダンスを楽しませてもらっています(YouTueで)。母の日が近づいているので、彼は世の中のお母さんたちのためにこのビデオを作りました。何と彼自身のお母さんと一緒に踊っています。母強し!ですな。ビデオの最後にはダンサーひとり一人のお母さんが写真で登場。こんなに大きくなって立派に踊っている彼らも、かつては小さな愛くるしい赤ちゃんだったんですよね。みんなが母親から生まれてきて、みんなかつては赤ちゃんだったんだなぁと思うと、世界中の人々が愛おしく思えます。マイクさんのお母さんすごいですよ!一見の価値あり。

No comments:

Post a Comment