Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Dancing in the Storm 嵐の中で踊る


When the world around us seems to be spinning fast with all the dust flying up in the air, you can choose to be spinned in it or sit still and watch it (and even entertained) until all the dust settles down, and the spinning slows down to reveal the truth. I'm trying to do the latter.

In my classroom, my students and I do meditation daily after a lunch break.
They sit at the carpet area which is placed in the back of the classroom, and I sit in a rocking chair.
I first read a story to them, and then they know what is coming.
We take a couple of deep breaths, and then I whisper, "Here we go."
We sit quietly for about 3 minutes while eyes closed, and our bodies being relaxed and quiet.

The children get better at this day by day throughout the school year. Toward the end of a year, they could do it for 5 minutes or longer.
I have told them that we do it to practice going inside of ourselves and finding the peaceful place. It is so "yummy" to find it and stay there. Once we truly get a taste of it, we want to keep going back there, and eventually we can be connected there in our daily life even without sitting down and closing eyes.
I also have told them, "This place is always available to us no matter what. We can 'go' there even when bombs are falling on our heads, although I of course hope it won't ever happen to us. It's just an extreme example to show you that you can find peace in any circumstance."

Last year (actually on my birthday), there was a 7.7 magnitude earthquake occurred in Queen Charlotte Island, Canada. A tsunami warning was issued for the West U.S. Coast and Hawaii. Many people evacuated to higher grounds. 

On Mondays, I give my students a homework called "Teacher, Guess What?" It's a journal entry, and they are free to write anything, such as what they did over the weekend or in what they are interested, or about what they are concerned. One of my students wrote the above entry (photo above) after the tsunami warning. I type it here:

"Teacher guess what?
When my auntie was really close to the ocean, she drove along it. I was scared for her on Saturday. I went in my room and meditated. I found the happy place. That made me a little less scared. Then me and my dad made hot chocolate. I had the big cup. The marshmallows were melted together. And so we made a big marshmallow balls. I made 16 of them, and my mom made 4 more. We made 20 marshmallow balls as a... (continues)"

During a lunch break (that's when I check my students' homework), I read this entry in my quiet classroom with some sounds of children playing at distance. And I cried. I think I cried because  I 
was amazed how this child actually utilized/applied the tool she obtained at school in her actual life. What makes a teacher more happier than that? (And her math skill was correct! 16+4=20. Hahaha :D)

In my personal life, I try to practice what I preach to my students. 
At the end of May, I had a shocking news. I won't get into the details of it here, but it startled me for a second, and it shook my ground for a week. I meditated, found the solid place, lost it again, meditated, found the place, lost it again... I repeated this until I came back to my anchor. 



In the midst of all, when I went to an office building to find a solution for the shocking news, there was a small replica of the building displayed by the entrance. In it, there were little fake people standing and "walking" on the sidewalk. And there were two ladies apparently fell down and taking a nap on the sidewalk. When I saw it, it somehow grabbed my laughing fit. It was covered in a glass container, so I could not reach in to stand those ladies up. They continued to take a nap in front of the building. I then felt so happy all of sudden. The clouds that were hovering over my shoulders cleared up. There is always something in this world that reminds us of the sparkle of life if we carefully look around or simply be open to the possibility of seeing it. Then it leads us out of the dark place. 




On the way home from the office building, I saw this thick rain clouds ahead of me. But I did not mind at all. I remembered how to dance in the stormy weather and have fun while I am in it.

(Japanese)
周りの世界が土煙を上げてすごいスピードで回っているように見えるとき。自分の足場を失いかけているとき。その中に巻き込まれて回るか、それともその辺に適当な石でも見つけ腰をかけ、埃が沈んでいき、真実を明らかにするまで静かに見ているか(土煙りの様子を楽しんでしまうくらいの勢いで)。それらを選択する機会を私たちは常に与えられていると思う。その中でも後者を出来たらといつも思っている。

私の教室では毎日お昼休みの後に子ども達と瞑想をする。
子ども達は教室の後ろにあるカーペットに思い思いに座り、私は揺り椅子に座って、まずはお話を一つ読むことにしている。お話が終ったら、次は何か子ども達はもう分かっている。
何度か深呼吸をして、「さぁ始めましょう」と私がささやく。
静かに3分ほど目を閉じて、体をリラックスさせて座る。

子ども達は日々上手になっていき、一年の最後の方には5分以上出来るようになる。
子ども達には、自分の内に入っていき、「あの穏やかな場所」を見つけるためにこうやって毎日練習するのだと伝えてある。そこに到達して「そこ」を味えることは、とても「ヤミー(美味しい)」な経験なのだと。一度味わうと、そこにまた行きたくなるような甘美な経験をする。そして練習を重ねていくうちに、座らなくても目を閉じなくても「そこ」に繋がっていられるようになると。また、「この場所はね、どんな時でも私たちのために用意されているのよ。たとえ爆弾が頭の上に降ってきているときでさえも。勿論そんなことがあなた達に無いことを先生は願っているわ。ただどんなに大変な状況でも『そこ』に行けるということを言いたくて引き合いに出した極端な例なのよ。」とも伝えた。

昨年(私の誕生日に)、カナダのクイーン・シャーロット島でマグニチュード7.7 の地震があり、アメリカ本土の西海岸側とハワイ州全域に津波警報が出され、海に近いところに住んでいる人たちは高台へ避難した。

月曜日に、私は生徒達に「先生、あのね」という宿題を出す。子ども達は、週末にしたことでも、最近興味のあることでも、ちょっと悩んでいることでも、何でも書いていいことになっている。ある教え子の一人が、その地震の後に以下の内容のことを書いた。(上の写真にもあるが、下に訳文を書いておきます。)

「先生、あのね。
私の叔母さんが海の近くにいるとき、海に沿って運転していました。土曜日は叔母さんのことが心配で仕方がありませんでした。自分の部屋に行って瞑想をしました。あのハッピーな場所を見つけました。それで少し心配ではなくなりました。それからお父さんとホットチョコレートを作りました。私は大きなマグカップを使いました。マシュマロは溶けてくっつきました。なので大きなマシュマロボールを作りました。私は16個作りました。お母さんは4個。全部で20個作りました。それを・・・(続く)」

お昼休みに(この時間に私は子ども達の宿題をチェックする)、子ども達が校庭で遊んでいる声を遠くに聞きながら、静かな自分の教室でこの文章を読んで、私は泣いた。きっと自分の教え子が教室で学んだことを、実際に生活の中で役立ててくれたことが嬉しかったのだろう。それ以上に教師を喜ばすことがあるだろうか。(16+4=20という算数もあっていますしね!)

自分の生活の中でも、子ども達に教えたことを実践するようにしている。
5月の最後に、あるビックリするニュースが舞い込んできた。詳細はここでは触れないが、それは私の足場を1週間ほどぐらつかせた。瞑想をしあの場所を見つけ、でもまた足場を失ってを繰り返し、やっとまた自分の中心を見つけられた。

そんな中、あるオフィスビルへ解決策を模索するために向かったとき、入り口付近に置いてあった、そのオフィスのミニチュアのレプリカを何となく見ていた私は、その中のある二人の女性が(人形が)倒れていて、ビルの前の歩道で寝ているのを見つけ、何故かそれが笑いのツボにはまってしまい、一人「クッククク」と笑ってしまった。ガラスの箱に入っているので、起こしてあげるわけにもいかず、「あぁ、この方たちはこうして寝続けるのかしら?誰か起こしてあげて」と思いつつ、そしたら急に気持ちが晴れている自分がいた。肩の上を覆っていた雲たちがさっと消えていったような感じ。この世界のキラリはいつでもどこにでもあってくれるんだなと思いつつ。それを見る気があるか、もしくは見える可能性を信じていることが鍵だなと思いつつ。そのキラリは闇から光へと導いてくれるのだ。

そのオフィスから家に帰るとき、上の写真に見えるように行く手を覆う厚い雨雲が見えた。でも全然大丈夫。嵐の中でも踊る方法を思い出していたのでね。

No comments:

Post a Comment