Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Thrilling Journey 珍道中

A Japanese amulet and a good luck charm my friends gave me.
友人がくれたマウイ神社のお守りとおサルさんのお守り。

I wrote a majority of this entry in a plane from Honolulu to Fukuoka (Japan).

The night before I embarked on my journey, I was up until 2 am packing, cleaning the house (I like to leave a clean house whenever I travel), doing any last-minute things, and finally taking a hot bath. The next morning (or should I say 3 and half hours later,) I woke up at 5:30 am and went to surf at Paia Bay. I knew that there were only 15 minutes, yet I knew it would still worth it, so I jumped in and quickly grabbed two waves and came out to hit the shower at home. When I was power walking back to the car, the white lacy part of a wave gently washed over my feet as if to say, “Off you go! We will be here when you return.” I felt it was a perfect blessing from the mother ocean. I vacuumed the house one last time, and I was ready to go!  

The beginning of my journey was a bit rough but was fun. Here is the story.

A very kind friend of mine helped me with this India trip by letting me use the buddy pass system between Honolulu and Narita (Tokyo) with an airline company for which she has worked. I never knew about this system until I met her, so if you don’t know, it is a system that lets people who have worked for an airline company for a certain number of years have privilege to book flights for family members or friends at a very reasonable cost. The buddy pass passengers are considered “standby,” and they can only get on a flight if there are unsold seats. When she booked the flight for me, it looked like there were many seats available, so there was a good chance for me. This particular airline company has 3 flights leaving Honolulu for Narita (Tokyo) daily, so this meant I had 3 chances. We were positive that I would get on one of them. Even a day before my departure date, it was still looking good with about 50 seats still available, but the weather god had a different plan. Due to strong winds, two flights leaving Honolulu to Japan had been canceled the previous day, and those passengers who had missed the flights were automatically put on the next day’s flights, which were the ones I was going to get on.

I had no idea that I would not see this baggage for awhile.
I didn't let the monkey go with the baggage.
荷物を預けているところ(おサルさんは預けなかったけど。)

On Monday, March 18th, I was supposed to fly out, but as soon as I got to the boarding gate of my first trial, I learned that there was a slim chance. It was the same with other two flights. Also there happened to be quite many standbys, maybe due to the spring break. I could not get on the second one, either. The third flight’s departure time was 2 hours pushed back (the particular air craft flew through the strong gusts and got shaken up, so the mechanical crew wanted to check everything), so we, standbys, had to wait 2 extra hours to find out if we were able to get on or not. If I really had to fly in to Japan that day, I could have purchased other airline companies’ one-way flight, but it was very expensive, so I did not want to do that although a few of the standby people ended up doing. I guess that’s the risk of being a standby. You don’t want to plan a critical event when you’re using it because you never know for sure. For this reason, I booked the flight to India from Tokyo a week later.

When the third flight left without some of us, and after I learned that all other flights flying to other cities of Japan are fully booked (such as Nagoya, Osaka, and Fukuoka), I had to make numerous phone calls to make change of a plan. I had to cancel seeing a friend in Tokyo and to change the time to see my friend in Matsuyama (where my parents live). I had to cancel the highway bus reservation from Tokyo to Matsuyama. And I had to figure out where to stay the night in Honolulu. I did not want to purchase a round-trip ticket to Maui to sleep just for the night. But the rascal part of me thought that it would be funny to return there and act as if I never left. My friends would be so confused :) I preferred not to buy a hotel room in Honolulu. Luckily I found a friend who was kindly willing to take me as a sudden guest.

Bye bye, Haleakala (Maui's volcanic mountain)
ハレアカラよ、バイバイ。(マウイの休火山。)

While I was figuring out all of the details, I made friends with other standby people, and some of them are “professional” standbys, and some even work for airline companies, so I got to learn how the buddy pass or standby works and how airline companies operate. It was a great lesson, and I think that the lesson itself was a gift from the Universe. During this whole roll of unexpected incidents occurring one after another, I found myself enjoying the situation. I knew that God or the Universe knew better and had a perfect plan for me, and I was at where I was supposed to be at the right timing. I kept saying to myself, “Everything is working out perfectly.” When I set my mind like that, everything seemed like a fun game, figuring out a solution or solutions. You do your best, and if it doesn’t work out, oh well, so what? "What are the messages (treasures) hidden in this picture?"

This attitude helped me when I could not locate my checked-in luggage. When you are a standby, your luggage is supposed to have a tag that says, “Standby,” and it should not get on an airplane until it is absolutely sure that the owner got on the plane. When you don’t get on a plane, you need to pick up your luggage at the baggage claim. Among several standby people who could not get on any flight, only mine was not there. Well, my luggage decided to hop on the flight that I also wanted to hop on and made its way to Tokyo before me. “I should have put myself in it” is what I said.

Luckily I had what I needed to spend a night in my carry-on luggage, but one mistake I made was that I packed the cell phone charger in the check-in luggage. By making numerous calls to figure out my new plan, my cell phone was about to die. I met a nice girl named Asami from Japan, and she and I got to hang out. We figured things out together, and when we finally settled down with our new plans, we had a meal together and exchanged contact info. That’s one of the great things about traveling – you make friends. She also let me charge my iPhone whenever there was a chance. She had the charger in her purse. Thank you, Asami-chan for that. She had to go back to Japan that day because of her work schedule, so she purchased a new one-way flight to Tokyo. I rented a car ($30 including tax), which was cheaper than booking a hotel and drove myself to my friend’s place.

My dance teacher Sarala's son, Sy wanted to know the colors of my airplanes,
so I decided to take a photo of each plane and send to his mom.
サララ先生の息子のサイラスが飛行機の色を知りたかったそうなので、
全部乗る飛行機の写真を撮って送ることにした。

At the rental car place, I had only 12% of battery left. I knew that the nearest Apple store was in Ala Moana Shopping Center, and it was not that close to the airport, so I goggled “RadioShack” and found a store only a few minutes away. I used my iPhone’s map feature to get there with only 3% left. I bought an iPhone charger there (the kind you can charge in a car). By the time I got to my friend’s place, my phone was back to 67%. Yay, and I could make more phone calls to sort out the plan. There I met more new friends – my friend’s roommates, and again I just felt so blessed to meet these wonderful people. Without this sudden change of a plan, I would not have met them.

I had an interesting dream the next morning. The dream went like this. I had overslept and missed the flight. But I woke up and thought to myself, “Phew. Thank goodness; it was a dream!” Then I went back to sleep for a few more hours, and then I woke up finding myself overslept and thinking, “Oh no. This time is real! I am really missing the flight. Oh shoot!” The roommates kindly said, "You can stay one more night with us." Thankfully, even this one was a dream! In real life (maybe this life itself is a long dream), I drove back to the airport in the early morning and returned the car and went to the check-in counter on time.

What I was told there was that all 3 flights (going to Narita) looked full, but going to Fukuoka looked promising. The agent suggested trying the first Narita flight and then if it didn’t work, changing the destination to Fukuoka because the Fukuoka flight was very close two other flights going to Narita. I would not be able to try all of them. I had to pick. It's kind of like gambling :) I ended up doing what she has suggested. The handling fee of changing the destination was $44, but to me it was a better option than being stuck in Honolulu one more night, and Fukuoka is actually closer to Matsuyama where I was trying to get to from Tokyo. The only thing was that I would have to somehow reunite with my luggage, which was waiting for my arrival at Narita.

The airplane I waned to get on but could not.
乗りたかったけど乗れなかった飛行機。


I had a pleasant flight to Fukuoka. I wrote this blog entry, read a book, listened to music, closed my eyes (could not sleep, though), and watched a movie called "Chasing Mavericks." I thought it was well made, I loved it and actually cried toward the end when Jay made his dream come true. I thought that it is always so beautiful to see a person following his or her dream so passionately and with so much dedication. I somehow overlapped myself on him and asked myself, "What am I chasing?"

Back in Honolulu, when I found out that I could get on the flight to Fukuoka, there were only 5 minutes to book a flight from Fukuoka to Matsuyama (where my parents live). I felt so grateful to have a smart phone at that time. I already had the booking page open and had proceeded to a point where all I had to do was to push "Book this Flight" button when my name was called (when a standby person gets on a flight, she or he is called after all the paid passengers get on board). According to the itinerary, I had an hour and half in Fukuoka. "It should give me an enough time," I thought. But the flight to Fukuoka did not leave Honolulu on time. The engine had to be turned off and turned on again. It took about 20 minutes. At that point, I was not worried whether I would have an enough time or not. But when I landed in Fukuoka, I learned that it actually landed 30 minutes late. I had only one hour to go through the immigration, figure out my baggage situation, and move to the domestic flight terminal and check in.

I got hungry while waiting to find out my status.
空港で待っている間の腹ごしらえに。

The immigration part was super smooth, and the baggage part was fairly easy, too. I just had to fill in a form, and the airline company would ship my baggage to my parents' house (on my expense since I was a standby, and I was the one who changed the destination from the original one although it was their mistake the first place). I preferred to pay the shipping fee ($20) rather than paying the hotel room in Fukuoka for that night. The flight I was trying to get on was the last flight to Matsuyama of the day, so if I missed it, I had to stay in Fukuoka overnight, and I did not want to do that.

When I got on a airport shuttle bus to transfer to the domestic terminal, it was already 6:32 pm, and my flight was 6:55 pm! The shuttle moved very slowly and took 10 minutes to get there. I happened to be sitting right behind the driver, and as you can imagine, I was using all my might to telepathically ask him to drive a little faster. I sat there thinking, "Wow, this trip is so thrilling until the very end." There was a calmer part of me who was enjoying watching this "movie."

When the shuttle bus finally got to the terminal, I ran to the check-in counter. I actually felt grateful that I didn't have the big check-in baggage with me. I would not have been able to run if I had it. When I was running, in a corner of my eye, I saw pink cherry blossoms beautifully blooming. For a microsecond, I felt something so tender in my heart. I had not visited Japan in spring for over 11 years; I actually hadn't seen any cherry blossoms for that long. Cherry blossoms are so important to Japanese people. I wanted to stop and admire, but I had to run!

Once I got to the check-in counter, there were four people working. All four quickly grasped my situation and did an amazing teamwork to let me purchase (I managed to book the flight but did not have time to actually purchase) and had my ticket issued within a minute. While one was getting my boarding pass, one was calling the aircraft to wait for me, one was asking me if I had a check-in luggage, and another one was getting ready to run with me. That was the moment I knew that I was back in Japan, baby! It was 6:45 pm. The lady who was ready to run with me said, "Miss, this way, please." She and I ran up a staircase together, and I zipped through the security check with her assistance. I was thinking, "You got be in a good shape to work here, I guess. You sometimes have to run with a customer." And of course, my gate was the furthest of all. I ran like 150 meters, and then from the gate, I had to run to the aircraft. The airplane to Matsuyama is usually small, and there is no boarding bridge, so you walk up right to it. There were about 80 meters between the gate and the airplane. I was already out of my breath, but I ran again! There were four traffic control people (who direct airplanes on runways) standing leading a way to the aircraft. As I ran by them, each one bowed to me one by one. I wanted to bow back to them, but I could not. Sorry! When I sat down on my seat puffing, it was 6:54 pm.

Phew, I made it (I think I delayed the departure time by 2 minutes. Sorry.)

When I arrived at Matusyama airport, my dad was waiting for me. Later he told me that he was following the airplane I got on from Honolulu to Fukuoka. There is a such website that lets you see. That's something my father would do (being an engineer). He jokingly said, "I was going to wave at your airplane when you fly over Matsuyama if it was a clear weather." What such a practical and playful father said the first thing when I came out was, "Where is your luggage? Did you travel just like that?"

As I felt some exhaustion from the relief for finally arriving at my destination, I grinned at him and and said, "Let me explain what has happened." 

Matsuyama Airport (MYJ)
松山空港
(Japanese)

このエントリーのほとんどはホノルルから福岡に向かう飛行機の中で書きました。

マウイを出る前の晩は、朝の2時まで色々やっていました。パッキングの総仕上げや、家の掃除(いつも旅に出る前に家をきれいにしておきたい性質(たち))、最終的なこまごまとしたこと、そしてお風呂にゆっくり浸かりました。翌朝(というか3時間半後)の5時半に起き、パイアベイにサーフィンをしに行きました。15分しか海に入る時間はない事を承知で。それでもわざわざ行く価値が私にはありました。ザボンと入って2つ乗って、3本目は潔く諦めて家でシャワーを浴びるためにパドルインしました。浜辺をボードを持って早足で車まで戻っているとき、ある波が、レースみたいに白いシュワシュワなところが優しく足を撫でていきました。「行ってらっしゃい。また帰ってきたら遊びにおいで」と言ってくれているように感じました。マウイの海の祝福を頂いたように思いました。シャワーの後、家に掃除機をかけ準備が整いました。

旅の最初は結構珍道中なものとなりました。
お話はここから始まります。

ある航空会社に勤め、今はもうリタイアされた友人が、親切にもホノルルと日本間のフライトをバディーパスで取ってくれました。彼女に出会うまではバディーパスの存在を知らなかった私。それは何?と思われた方のために説明させていただくと、それはある程度航空会社に勤めた人にある特権で、家族や友人に(航空会社によって多少ルールに違いがあるようですが)格安の値段でチケットを購入できるというものです。バディーパスを使う場合はスタンドバイと同じで、乗りたい便に空席があるときのみ搭乗することができます。彼女が私のためにバディーパスを取ってくれたときは、まだまだ空席がありました。そしてこの航空会社はホノルルから成田まで一日に3便出しています。つまり、一日に3回チャンスがあるわけです。私が乗る予定だった日の前日でさえ、空席はまだまだありました(50席ほどあったらしい)。しかし、天気の神様は違う計画があったようです。私が乗る予定だった前日に強風のため2便がキャンセルになってしまったそうです。なのでその2便に乗れなかった乗客が翌日、つまり私が乗る予定だった日に雪崩れ込んでこられました。急に全てが満席となってしまいました。

3月18日の朝、搭乗ゲートに向かった私はそのことを知り、チャンスはかなり低いことを知りました。3便全てがそういうことでした。それに加え、かなりの数のスタンドバイの人がいました。きっと春休みが始まったからでしょう。3便目は機体整備のため2時間出発時刻が遅れました。(その機体が強風の中を飛んできたらしく、結構荒い道のりだったので、全てがちゃんと起動しているか確認するため。)スタインドバイの私たちも万が一乗れるときのために、その2時間待機しました。もしその日のうちにどうしても東京入りしないといけない場合は、他の航空会社の空席を(片道だけだけど)購入することも可能でしたが、それはとても高かったのでしたくありませんでした。でも何人かのスタンドバイの人はそれをすることに。スタンドバイをする場合は前後に大切な用事を入れてはいけませんね。インド行きを1週間後にしておいて良かったです。

3便目がほとんどのスタンドバイの人を乗せずに離陸した後、その航空会社の日本行きの他のフライト(関空、名古屋、福岡行き)も満席であることを知りました。もう確実にその日の日本入りは不可能となったわけです。そこで沢山の人に連絡を取らなくてはいけませんでした。東京で会う予定であった友人に会えなくなったことを伝え、松山で会う予定だった友達に時間を変更してもらい、両親に変更を伝え、東京から松山までの高速バス(夜行バス)を購入していたのですがキャンセルしました。そしてホノルルでその晩泊まるところを探さなくてはいけませんでした。寝るだけのためにわざわざまたマウイに戻るのは嫌でした。(往復チケットを買わないといけないので。あと盛大に送り出された後戻るのも恥ずかしい。)でも私のいたずらっこな部分が、「このままマウイに戻って、まるで旅に出るなんてなかったように振る舞ったら、友達びっくりするかしら?」なんて思ってみたり。うししし。幸いなことに、急なゲストを快く受け入れてくれる友達も見つかりました。

こんな珍道中の最中、何人かのスタンドバイの人たちとお友達になりました。中にはスタンドバイをよくやっている人、航空会社に勤めている人もいて、色々とお話を聞いて勉強になりました。それも宇宙からのプレゼントのように思いました。これらの予期せずハプニングを次々に目の当たりにし、その過程を楽しんでいる自分がいました。宇宙は私にとってのベストなプランを知り尽くしているし、私はあるべき場所にあるべき時にいるのだという確信がありました。「全てがうまくいっている」と自分に言い聞かせていました。そう思うと全てが楽しいゲームのように思えてきました。解決策を探すゲームのような。出来るだけのことはして、あとは天に任せるという感じ。そして目の前に広がる展開を楽しんで映画を見るように、「ここに隠されているメッセージは何だろう?」という風に見るととても面白かったです。

この姿勢は私の預けた荷物が見つからないときにも助けてくれました。スタンドバイの場合、預けた荷物に「スタンドバイ」のタグが貼られ、その持ち主が乗らない限り、機体に乗せられることはありません。もしどの便にも乗れなくて翌日再度トライする場合は、一度荷物を受け取ります。何人かのスタンドバイで乗れなかった人たちの中で私の荷物だけありませんでした。どうやら持ち主を置いて、お先に東京入りしたようです。「荷物の中に自分を入れればよかったな」と思いました。幸いなことに、一晩を過ごすのに必要なものは機内持ち込みの荷物の中にありました。でも一つの間違いは、携帯電話の充電器を預けた荷物の方に入れてしまったことです。いつもは持ち歩くのにその日に限って。色々な人に電話をしなくてはいけなかったため、電池はとても少なくなっていました。その日、麻美ちゃんという東京に住んでいるすてきな子に出会いました。二人で色々と解決策を練って、彼女の頼もしい存在をありがたく思いました。麻美ちゃんは仕事があるので他の航空会社から片道チケットを買ってその日のうちに帰ることに。私は一日30ドルのレンタカーを借り(ホテルに泊まるより安い)、友達の家まで自分で運転することに。二人とも計画を立てて一段落したときには、一緒にご飯も食べることが出来ました。これが旅の醍醐味の一つだと思います。新しい友達に出会えること。麻美ちゃんは充電器を持っていたので、チャンスがありさえすれば使わせてもらいました。ありがとうね、麻美ちゃん。

レンタカーを借りた時点での私の携帯の電池は12%しか残っていませんでした。私のスマートフォンはiPhoneです。最寄りのアップルストアーはアラモアナショッピングセンターに入っているらしく、空港からそんなに近くはないし、友達の家と逆方向だったので却下。「RadioShack」という電気屋さんを検索してみると、何と2分ほどのところにあるじゃないですか。そこまで地図のアプリにナビしてもらい行き着きました。着いたときには残り3%。ぎりぎり間に合いました。そこで車内で充電できるものを買い、友人の家に着いた頃には67%まで充電できました。おかげで他にも連絡をしないといけない人たちに連絡を取ることができました。

友達の家でも新しい出会いが待っていました。すてきなルームメイトが二人いました。とても祝福を感じました。こういうことでもない限り会うことがない人たちと出会えたのです。

その日の夜に面白い夢を見ました。夢の中で夢を見ていました。二重構造です。まず最初の夢は寝過ごしてしまい、飛行機に乗れなかったというものでした。そしてどきどきしながら目を覚まし、「あぁ夢だったのか。良かった。」と思い、まだ2時間ほど起きるまで時間があったのでまた寝付いたのですが、今度目が覚めたときには、今度こそは本当に寝過ごして乗れなかったというもの。知り合ったばかりのルームメイトたちが「今日も泊まっていけばいいさ」と言っています。しかし、幸いなことにそれも夢でした。夢の夢から覚め、「あぁこれも夢だったのか」と思い再び寝るのを危惧しつつも、まだまだ時間があるのでまた寝付いたのでした。3度目に(現実の世界では1度目だが)目が覚めたときは、目覚まし時計が鳴る10分ほど前。「よほど乗れないことを心配していたのだな」と思いました。朝早くに空港に戻っていき、レンタルカーを返却し、チェックインカウンターへ。

そこで教えられたことは、その日も3便とも成田行きは満席のようであるということ。名古屋行きも関空行きも満席のようだけど、福岡行きだけは結構空席があるとのこと。チェックインをしてくれた方は、一番初めの成田行きにトライしてみて駄目だったら、もうあとの2便はトライせずに福岡行きの便に変更してみてはとのこと。と言うのも福岡行きは、成田行きの2便目と3便目の時間ととても近いので(被るので)全てをトライしてみることは無理とのこと。選択をしなくてはいけませんでした。まるで賭けごとをしているようです。結局成田行きの1便目には乗れず、福岡行きに変えました。手数料が$44でしたが、ホノルルにもう一泊することは避けたかったですし、福岡の方が松山には近いので実は良かったです。成田空港から羽田空港へ移動する手間も省けましたし、羽田から松山は片道36,000円ですが、福岡から松山は24,000円でしたし。ただ一つ気になったのが、成田空港で私の到着を待っている荷物のことです。聞いてみたら、日本に着いてから手続きをしてくれとのこと。

福岡までの10時間、快適に過ごせました。このブログエントリーをパソコンで書いたり、音楽を聴いたり、しばし目を閉じて休んだり(寝れはしなかったけど)、そして「チェイシング マヴェリックス」という映画も見ることが出来ました。よく出来ていると思いました。個人的に大好きでした。映画の最後の方で主人公が夢を達成したときには一人泣いていました。いつでも人が情熱と共に真剣に夢を追い求める姿は美しいものです。気がづいたら彼に自分自身の姿を重ねていました。「私は何を追い求めているのだろう?」

ホノルル空港で福岡行きに乗れるということを知らされてから、携帯電話を使用できる時間が5分ほどしかありませんでした。その間に福岡から松山行きの便を予約しました。そのときほどスマートフォンを持っていて良かったと思ったことはありません。スタンドバイの場合、乗れるかどうかは全ての乗客が搭乗してからしか分かりません。乗れるようであれば名前が呼ばれます。待っている間、iPhoneからもうあとは「予約確認」のボタンを押すだけというところまで用意をしておきました。名前が呼ばれ、席が確定された時点で「予約確認」のボタンを押しました。これで福岡から松山までの便は確保できたはずでした。でも実際にクレジットカードを使って購入するところまでは時間がなくて出来ませんでした。その便は、福岡空港に着いてから1時間半後に出るもので、1時間半もあれば入国審査もして、荷物のことも処理をして、国際線ターミナルから国内線ターミナルに移動する時間もあるだろうと打算していました。

しかし、福岡行きの便はホノルル空港を予定時刻より20分ほど遅れて離陸しました。エンジンを一度止めて点けなおさないといけないということで。福岡空港に予定より30分遅れて着陸したことを知ったときは、「果たして松山行きに乗り換えする時間があるのだろうか?」と少し不安になりました。入国審査はスイスイと終わり、荷物のことも割りとスムーズに終わらすことが出来ました。成田に確実にあるので、それを松山の実家まで送ってくれるとのこと。ただし着払いで。航空会社の手違いであるとは言え、目的地を変えたのは私ですし、スタンドバイであったので。(スタンドバイって本当に弱い立場なのね。)送料は2000円ほどということで、それよりも福岡でのホテル料を払う方が嫌でした。というか早く家に辿り着きたかった!「はい、払います。ありがとうございます!」と早々と切り上げ、ダッシュで国際線ターミナル行きのシャトルバスまで走りました。

シャトルバスに乗り込んだ時点で18:32。松山行きの便は18:55に出るもの。シャトルバスは思ったよりもすごくゆっくり進んでいきます。たまたま運転席の真後ろに座っていた私は、全身全霊で(笑)運転手さんに「どうかもう少しだけ早く走って頂けませんでしょうか?」とテレパシーを送っていました。そうしながらも同時に落ち着いて「今回の旅は最後の最後までスリル満載だなぁ」と思っている自分もいました。「さて、あかりさんよ、どんな展開が待っているのでしょうか!!」なんて映画を見るような感じで楽しんでいる自分も。18:55の便が松山行きの最終の便でした。それをミスしたら福岡滞在です。国内線ターミナルに着き次第、バスを飛び降りチェックインカウンターまで走りました!その時、あの成田で待っている大きな荷物が無くて良かったなと思いました。あったら走っていられませんでした。走りながら、目の片隅に満開の薄ピンクのきれいな花が目に入ってきました。桜でした!11年ぶりに見る桜。この季節に日本に帰国することが無かったので、しばらくお目にかかっていませんでした。日本人の琴線に触れるものがあり、立ち止まってその美しさを崇めたかったのですが、そんな時間はありません。

チェックインカウンターに着いたのが18:45。あと10分しかありません。もうチェックインすら出来ないかもと思いつつ近づいてみると、4人の人が働いていました。4人が全員私の状況を寸時に把握し、見事な連携プレーを披露してくれました。一人はチケットの購入と発券、もう一人は機体にいるフライトアテンダントに電話してもう一人乗客が来るから待っていてくれと伝え、もう一人はチェックインする荷物は無いかと聞き、もう一人は一緒に走る準備をしていました。「よーいどん」みたいな体勢。そのときに「あぁ、日本に帰ってきたんだな」と思いました(笑)。他の国ではここまでしてくれない。その走る用意をしていた人が「お客様、こちらです!」と言い一緒に階段を駆け上がってくれました。そしてセキュリティチェックを難なくこなしてくれました。「大変だな。ここで働いていたらこうやってお客さんと時々一緒に走らないといけなんだな」と思いつつ、ありがとうございましたと深々とお辞儀をし、ゲート番号を見たら、まるでコントのように一番遠いゲートでした。16番ゲート。150メートル走でした。ゲートに着いたらそれで終わりではありませんでした。松山行きの飛行機はいつも小さいものが多いので、機体のすぐ傍まで歩いて行って階段を上って乗り込むというもの。ゲートから飛行機まで80メートルほどまだありました。息を切らしながらまた走る!4人のマーシャラーの人たち(飛行機誘導員)が機体まで私を誘導するがのごとく並んでおられました。傍を走り抜けると、一人ひとりがお辞儀をしてくれたのですが、「ごめんなさーい、お辞儀を返せません」と思いながら駆け抜けました。席に着いたときには18:54でした。ぎりぎりセーフ(?)。もしかしたら数分遅らせてしまったかも。すみませんでした。

松山空港に着いたら父が迎えに来てくれました。後で聞いたのですがマニアックな父は(良い意味で)、私がホノルル空港を出てから、インターネット上で航空機の現在位置をライブで見られるウェブサイトで追っていたらしい。「松山の上を通るときに天気が良かったら手を振ってやろうと思って」なんて冗談で言ってました。そんな父の一言目は「あれ?荷物は?それだけで帰ってきたの?」(いやいやいや。そんなことはない。)

「まぁそれには長い話があってね。」とやっと着いてほっとしたことで少しの疲労を感じつつも、娘は笑って話し始めたのでした。

No comments:

Post a Comment