Thursday, March 28, 2013

From Japan to India 日本からインドへ

Matsuyama Airport
松山空港
I left Japan for India on March 28th.

東京
Tokyo
My parents and younger brother took me to the local Matsuyama Airport to see me off. I have repeated saying “See you in a year or so” many times over the past 11 years, but it does not seem to get easier. I sometimes wonder why I live so far away from them – the ones I love so dearly, but following my heart has led me to live this way, and I must follow.

When I was young, my parents told me, “Akari, you were born to us as our child, but you do not belong to us. We have a responsibility to provide a safe place to live, feed you, and clothe you and love you as much as we can, but you belong to God. Therefore, you must go where God wants you to go and do what God asks you to do, not where or what you think will please us.” Though I was young, this statement stuck to my heart like a golden treasure passed down to me. I felt a tremendously deep love and blessings from them. I also thought that it was very courageous of them to tell me so, setting aside their needs or wants. (By the way, my parents do not have any particular religion to follow. I would say that they are not religious, but they believe in some energy that is behind and within all of our beings and call it God.)

Bye bye, Sakura!
桜よさようなら!

As I grew up, I always tried to listen to God – what my purpose in life is and how I could serve God and my fellow brothers and sisters on this planet. In high school, I felt that it was important for me to acquire English skill as the world was becoming more and more connected, and that I wanted to have an ability to communicate with a majority of people. Therefore, when my Japanese dance teacher, the late Suga Kunitomo suggested that I would come to Hawaii, I did not hesitate to make that decision. When it was my time to choose an occupation to sustain myself, I chose teaching, as it has been my dream job since I was in preschool. I felt that God wanted me to be a teacher to help children grow up feeling peace and joy in their hearts. When I met Odissi dance by seeing my teacher, Sarara Dandekar perform, I felt that I was called to study the art form. It has a long history and a rich spiritual background. It has helped me to understand and express love for God. In the last couple of years, I felt that God was calling me to visit India to study this art form even for a short period of time, so I intentionally and patiently planned this to happen, and it has come to fruition. Here I am, writing this entry in Mumbai, India.

Heading to Narita Airport
成田へ向かうところ

Actually this is not my first visit to India. I visited southern India in 2001 (at age 18). At that time, I was staying at an ashram. One morning, while I was sitting still and quiet in the midst of hundreds of people at a morning gathering, I felt a scorching prayer rising in me. Hot tears welled up in my eyes, and pearls of tears kept rolling down my cheeks. I was surprised and tried to hide that I was crying. First I did not know why I was feeling that way. A few minutes later, I realized that it was a sincere love call to God. I was feeling such a deep gratitude in my heart for all the blessings God had bestowed upon me throughout my life and lives, and I was asking God how I could best utilize the blessings. I said in my heart, “God, I will do anything for you.” And then I heard God jokingly saying, “Oh, yeah? Are you sure about that?” At that moment, I hesitated for a second realizing what a serious commitment I was about to make. God with a warm smile said kindly, “You may have to live so far away from the ones that are near and dear to you.” “You may have to work very hard in a rather difficult condition.” “You may feel lonely at times.” “You may be asked to totally step out of your familiar and comfort zone.” “Still, are you willing?” I took a moment allowing myself to feel a deep sadness especially over the fact that I may not be able to be near my family. I did not mind anything else but that because with God’s presence, I would never be alone, and any hard work can turn into an enjoyable work, and any uncomfortable situation can become a fun adventure. But family cannot be provided by God’s presence. At least, I thought that way at that time. However, simultaneously I knew that going wherever and doing whatever God asks me would provide the deepest happiness, hence I would provide the deepest happiness to my parents because my deepest happiness is their wish. With dried eyes, I said, “Yes, God. I surrender to you.”

At that time, I did not think that I would return to the same country 12 years later.


From Matsuyama, I first had to fly to Haneda (in Tokyo), and from there, I took a limousine bus to move to the Narita Airport (1.5 hour ride). Everything went smoothly.

The airplane was much smaller than I expected with only 2 seats on each side, and there were only about 12 passengers. It was a very comfortable, direct flight from Tokyo to Mumbai (approx. 12 hours). I finished reading a book called “Sankara”, watched a movie called “Life of Pi” which I had been wanting to watch for a while. Then I slept a bit, wrote some, and listened to music. As I was getting closer to India, I finally admitted my nervousness. I was actually more nervous than I expected. Although I had been to India once before, at that time, I traveled with a person who was very familiar with India; I basically followed him around. This time, I was alone. The only person I knew was my dance teacher’s teacher, Mrs. Jhelum Paranjape. I had met her on Maui twice when she came to teach workshops. I did not know anyone else. I did not know what to expect or what life is like in Mumbai, the biggest city of India. Many people have told me, “Be careful,” but I was not sure how much of carefulness I have to keep in my radar. All of these unknown factors were making me a little nervous, but I knew that I was well equipped and did my best to prepare, so all I had to do was to simply dive in with faith. When I saw streams of headlights rushing north and south, east and west beneath me (because I arrived in Mumbai at night), I told myself, “Here I go!!”


Going through the immigration, picking up my checked-in baggage, exchanging currency, and everything else went smoothly. As I was directed by my dance teacher Sarala’s relative, Uncle Milind (I call him Milind Kaka), I went to the prepaid-taxi booth to pay the taxi fair in advance. It was 340 rupees, so about $7. This way, the police have a record of my purchase and destination of the taxi ride, a safer way to get to where I intend. At the booth, I was welcomed with the particular Indian head shaking (if you have traveled to India or have spoken with Indian people, you know what I mean), and I knew that I was really in India and grinned.

The 40-minute taxi ride was as thrilling as I remembered. Everything that existed on the road, cars, trucks, rickshaws, motor bikers, bikers, pedestrians, and cows did its own thing, and the traffic lights did not seem to be recognized. When they passed one another, there were sometimes only one inch of space between. I was just amazed how traffic accidents were not happening everywhere. All of my senses were observing this sudden change of environment. Smell of car exhaust and spices struck my nose. Continuous vehicle horn ringing echoed in my ears. I felt hot humidity falling on my skin. Exciting traffic scene were being displayed in front of me as if watching some action movies. I felt dizzy for a second taking all in, and then as if to give me a last knockdown punch, the full moon rose over the tall buildings. At that moment, something snapped in me and got released. I let go of my effort and attempt to keep all in order. It was not possible in India. “Ahhh, yes, I surrender to you, mother India.” I felt much freer and more ready to experience and receive India.

When I arrived at Milind Kaka’s apartment and saw his very welcoming smile, I felt so relieved. He suggested that I call my parents and Sarala to let them know that I have arrived safely. I appreciated his kindness to let me use his phone. It felt strange to hear my mother and Sarala’s voices from such a far away place, yet their voices comforted me. I did not know if I was dreaming. I felt fast asleep from the exhaustion.


3月28日にインドへ向けて日本を発ちました。


両親と弟が松山空港まで送ってくれました。「またね」を過去11年の間に何度となく繰り返してきたけれど、いっこうに上手になりませんな。時々、「なんで私は、心から愛している人たちから、こんなにも遠くに住んでいるんだろう」と思う事もあります。でも心の声に従って生きてきたらこういうことになっていました。 



幼いとき、両親が言ってくれた言葉があります。「あかりはお父さんとお母さんの子として生まれてきてくれたけど、お父さんとお母さんのものではないよ。あかりに衣食住を提供して、できるだけ愛を込めて育てるという責任をもらったけれど、あかりは神さまのもの。だから神さまがあかりに行ってほしいところへ行って、してほしいことをしなさい。お父さんとお母さんのためにすることは何もないのだよ。」小さかったけれど、この言葉がキラキラ光る大切な宝物のように心に強く残り、二人からこの上ない深い愛と祝福を受け取ったように感じました。そして「自分たちの希望を外に置いて、こうも娘に伝えてくれた二人の勇気に感謝しなければ」と思ったのを覚えています。(両親は、何か特定の宗教に入っているわけでもなければ、何か特有の神様を拝んだりもしていません。ただこの世の中に存在する全てのものに宿るエネルギーのようなものがあって、それを神さまと呼んでいるのだと思います。私も同じです。) 



大きくなるにあたり、いつも神さまの声を聞くように心懸けてきました。私の人生の目的は何なのか。どうしたら、神さまとこの地球上に存在するきょうだいたちのために役立てるのか。高校生のときは、世界がどんどん繋がっていくのを見て、英語を学ぶことの重要性を感じました。世界の人々とコミュニケーションを取りたい場合 、英語を知っていると可能性がぐんと広がります。「英語を勉強しておいて。きっと将来役に立つ時が来るから。」と言われたように思いました。故・國友須賀先生から「あかりは高校を卒業したらマウイに来んかね?」と言われたときには、 迷いは微塵ともありませんでした。そして自分の職業を選ぶときは、幼稚園児のときから望んでいた教師という仕事に就くことにしました。子ども達が元気に、心に平安と喜びを感じながら大きくなっていく過程をお手伝いしたかったからです。そして私の踊りの先生であるサララ・ダンデカーがマウイでオディッシィダンスを踊っているのを見たとき、この芸術を学びたいと思いました。長い歴史と深いスピリチュアルな背景のある芸術です。 近年、この踊りを学ぶために例え短期間でもいいからインドへ行っていらっしゃいと神さまに言われているように感じていました。そのために、根気よく計画を練ってきました。そしてそれが叶った今、このブログエントリーをインドで書いています。 



インドへ来るのは実は二回目です。2001年に(18歳の時に)、インドの南を訪れました。そのときはあるアシュラムに滞在していました。ある朝、 何百人という人に囲まれ一人静かに座り、朝のサービスが始まるのを待っているときでした。熱い、熱い祈りが自分の中に溢れてくるのを感じました。熱を帯びた涙が目に溢れ、止めどなく頬に落ちました。そんな自分に少し驚きを覚え、少し恥ずかしくて泣いていることを人に見られないようにする自分もいました。最初はなぜ泣いているのか分かりませんでした。数分後、少しずつ分かってきました。それは、神さまへのラブコールの涙でした。それまでの人生で、そして今まで繰り返し生きてきた人生でいつもいつも祝福をくださった神さまに、深い感謝の気持ちでいっぱいで、「どうしたらこの感謝の気持ちを表せますか?あなたから受け取った祝福を人々のために役立たせられますか?」と問いていました。「そのためには何でもします。」と。そうしたら、神さまに冗談っぽく、「ほんとに?それは確かかな?」と聞かれました。そのとき、「あれっ?もしかして、私ったら大きな約束をしようとしているのかしら?」と一瞬怯(ひる)んだ自分がいました。神さまがとても穏やかで優しい口調で「大好きな家族からとても遠いところに住まないといけないこともあるかもしれない。」「難しい状況の中で一生懸命働かないといけないこともあるかもしれない。」「孤独を感じることもあるかもしれない。」「時には、自分の知っている心地よい枠から思い切って飛び出さないといけないこともあるかもしれない。」「それでもいいかな?」家族と遠く離れてしまうかもしれないということが一番悲しいことでした。だって神さまさえいれば、孤独にはならないし、どんなに大変な仕事だって喜びに変わるし、どんなに自分の心地良い枠の外の世界でも楽しい冒険になるけれど、家族だけは神さまがいても充たされない条件だとそのときは思ったのです。しばしの間、そのことを悲しむ時間を自分に与えました。それでも神さまが望むところに行き、望む仕事をすることは私にとって一番の喜びになることを信じ、そのことが両親を一番幸せにする方法だと信じ、(私が幸せであることが彼らの一番の望みですから)乾いた目を開けて、「はい神さま、私の全てを捧げます。」と答えました。そんなことのあったインドの旅から12年が経ち、また戻ってくるとはそのときには思ってもいませんでした。

Vegetarian meal in the plane
機内食(ベジタリアン)

松山空港から羽田へ飛び、リムジンバスで成田まで移動し(約90分)、成田からムンバイまで直通の飛行機に乗り込みました。思ったより小さい飛行機で、左右に二席ずつでした。乗客も12人くらいでゆったりのんびり出来ました。約12時間のフライトの間、「サンカーラ」を読み終え、ずっと観たかった「ライフ・オブ・パイ」を観て、少し眠り、音楽を聞いて、書き物をしたりしていました。インドに近づくにつれ、「あぁ、私は実はずっと緊張していたんだな」とやっと分かりました。予期していたよりも緊張している自分がいました。インドには以前行ったことがあると言っても、そのときはインドのことをとても良く知っている人に付いていき頼りっきりでしたが、今回は一人です。唯一知っているのは、サララ先生の先生であるジェーラム・パランツァペ先生だけです。ジェーラム先生とは、ワークショップを教えにマウイに二度来られたときに 会ったことがありました。他には誰も知りません。ムンバイというインドで一番大きな都市での生活がどんなものなのか、全く予測がつきませんでした。沢山の人に「気をつけるように」と言われましたが、どれほど気を張っていないといけないのか、色々なクエスチョンマークが私を緊張させていました。でも全て準備は整っていて、出来るだけのことをしたという自負がありました。あとは信じて飛び込むしかありません。車のヘッドライドが川のように、南北に東西に伸びているのが見えてきた頃(夜に着いたので)、「さぁいくぞ」と覚悟を決めました。



イミグレーションもスムーズに通り抜け、預けた荷物も受け取り、お金もインドルピーに替え、サララ先生の親戚のおじさんであるミリンダさんに言われた通りに前払いするタクシーブースへ行きました。そうすることで、警察側に私の行き先が記録に残るので安全らしいです。340ルピーでした(約600円)。その支払い場所でインド人のおじさんに笑顔で、あのインド特有の頭の振りで迎えられ、「あぁインドに来たんだな」と思いました。 


40分のタクシーの乗り心地は12年前と同じく、とてもスリリングなものでした。道路上に存在する全てのもの、車、トラック、リキシャ、バイク、自転車、歩行者、牛、全てが赴くままに動いていて、信号はあってもないようなもので。すれ違うとき、幅が2センチくらいのときが普通にあるのです。交通事故があらゆるところで起きていないのが不思議でした。五感が突然変化した環境を、めまぐるしく観察していました。車の排気ガスとインド特有のスパイスの匂いが鼻につき、鳴り止む事のない車やバイクのクラクションは耳にエコーし、暑い湿気が肌にはり付いてくるのを感じました。アクション映画のような交通状況が目の前に広がり、全てを取り入れていると目眩がするようでした。そこへこれでもかと言わんばかりに、ビルの向こう側から満月が昇ってくるのでした。その瞬間、張り詰めていたものがパチンと切れて、何かがどっと抜けていきました。全てを順序良くきれいに自分の中に取り込んでいく努力と試みが、ここでは意味を成さなかったこを思い出しました。「あぁ、そうだった。母なるインドよ、全てをあなたに託し、委ねます。」その後、インドをもっと自由に受け入れていく準備が出来たように思いました。


ミリンダおじさんの家に着いたときには、彼のとても優しい笑顔に迎えられ、ほっとしました。両親とサララに無事に着いたことを伝えたらどうかと言ってくれて、電話を使わせてくれました。母とサララの声を聞けることが不思議に思いました。そして二人の声にほっとさせてもらいました。夢を見ているような気がしつつ、旅の疲れからか早々と眠りについたのでした。

1 comment: