Saturday, June 22, 2013

Cheers to Life! 人生に乾杯!

The full moon in an Alapadma
(One of the mudras of classical Indian dances; one of its meanings is fully blossomed lotus flower)
夜空に浮かぶアラパドマ(インド舞踊のムドラの一つ)とその手中の満月
いくつかあるムドラの意味の一つは「満開の連の花」

On Saturday, June 22nd at 7 pm, an idea suddenly came to me that I take myself out for a date.

I chose Casanova (since it's the closet restaurant from home) and went.
I felt a little shy to say, "Just me" when the hostess came, but I started to feel comfortable as I just sat and quietly watched families and couples enjoying themselves.

I even ordered a glass of red wine (for the 1st time in my life)!
Then a delicious salad and gnocchi. I thoroughly enjoyed the meal. As far as wine goes, after the 3rd sip, my face was hot and red as it always does whenever I drink alcohol, so I could not take it anymore (I asked the waitress to pour only a tiny bit while offering to pay the full price, but I guess that there is such rule that they have to pour 6 oz. Sorry to the wine that got wasted.)

I savored every minute of this date. I took my past diary book with me that night. I don't take it around, but I felt like reading it at the restaurant that night. When I was reading it, I noticed that June 22nd was the exact day when I met my ex-husband. In the past 5 years, a lot have happened. Fell in love, married, be divorced, struggled, suffered, and surrendered...

There I was that night, sitting tall and fully enjoying and loving myself and my life. I tenderly thought of Akari who was 5 years younger. If I could tell her anything now, there are a lot I want to tell her :), but if I have to choose one, I'd tell her that she would be all right no matter what happens (the details are for hers to experience).

At the next table, there was a young boy (about age 10) with a baseball cap enthusiastically chatting with his parents. Someday, he would fall in love and might take someone out for dinner. He might experience heartbreak. But he will overcome. And the memory will become a part of who he is. Life goes on. We are strong.

Two ladies who have passed away in the recent years visited me at my table, one by one. I have come to Casanova with both of them respectively: Autumn Leaf and Suga Kunitomo. I felt strange that their bodies did not exist in the world anymore, but I could feel them so closely. They each spoke to me gently, fondly and jokingly here and there. I felt so mighty knowing that I will always have these passed-on people's invisible yet perceivable support and love.

Yes, life goes on. A broken heart can be mended and filled again like that night's full moon.

Cheers to life!

(The photo above was taken on the way from the restaurant. I could see the full moon from where I parked my car. Then a thought occurred to me that I wanted to hold the moon in an alapadma - lotus flower. When I did that, I saw it reflected on the windshield and thought it was interesting image, so I took one.)

(Japanese)

6月22日土曜日の19時にあるアイデアが急に閃いた。それは自分を自分とのデートに連れ出すということ。

家から一番近いレストランであるカサノバを選んだ(お洒落なイタリアンレストラン)。お店の人が案内するために来てくれたとき、「一人です」と言うのは少し恥ずかしかったけれど、席について周りの家族や恋人たちが、わいわいとそれぞれの時間を楽しんでいる様子を静かに見ていたら、気持ちが落ち着いてきた。

(人生で初めて)ワイン(赤)までオーダーしてみたりして。それからおいしいサラダとニョッキの料理を一口、一口丁寧に味わって楽しんだ。ワインに関しては3口目で既に顔が真っ赤になるのを感じられ、体はカーッと熱くなってそれ以上飲めなかった。(ウェイトレスの方に「全額払うけれど、きっと全部飲み干せないから少しだけ入れてちょうだい」と頼んだのだけれど、どうやら規定があるみたいで必ず6オンス注がないといけないらしい。残してしまったワインちゃん、ごめんなさいね。)

この自分とのデート、心底楽しませてもらった。普段は持ち歩かない昔の日記帳を持ってきていたので開いて見ていたら、丁度5年前のその日が元ダンナと出会った日であった。この5年で色々なことがあった。恋をして、結婚し、離婚を切り出され、苦い、辛い時間を過ごし、もがき、そして全てを人生の流れに託そうと思えた。

そうして今晩、お洒落をして、胸を張って私という人間を、そしてこの人生を愛して楽しんでいる。5年前の私を愛おしく思った。もし何か彼女に伝えられるのなら、伝えたいことは沢山あるけれど(笑)、一つだけ選ぶとしたら、「何があっても大丈夫だから」ということ。(詳しいことは彼女が自分で経験しないとね。)

隣の席では10歳くらいの野球帽を被った男の子が、両親に熱心に何かについて話していた。あどけない可愛さが残っていた。彼にもいつか恋をする日がやってくる。恋人を連れてどこかのレストランに行く日が来るだろう。いつか失恋をして人知れず泣く日があるかもしれない。でも彼はそれを乗り越える。辛い思い出さえも彼の愛しい一部になる。人生は続いていく。私たちは強いのだ。

私のテーブルに、近年この世を去った二人の女性が代わる代わる訪れた。オータム・リーフと國友須賀先生。彼女たちとは、それぞれとこのレストランに来たことがある。優しく話しかけてくれ、冗談の一つ二つこぼして行った。ほろ酔い気分で彼女達との思い出に少しの間浸った。「それにしても不思議なことだ」と思った。彼女たちの体はもうこの世にはいない。でも彼女達をとても身近に感じた。そうやって向こう側へ渡っていった魂たちがいつだってエールを送ってくれていると想うと、百人力のようにさえ感じた。

そう、人生は続いていく。どんなに砕かれた心だって、今晩の月のようにまたまあるくなるのだ。

あぁ人生に乾杯!

(上の写真は、そのレストランの帰りに車を停めたところから満月が見え、月を連の花に浮かべてみたいとふと思い、そうしたらその様子がフロントガラスに映し出されていたので、これは面白いと思って撮ったもの。)

No comments:

Post a Comment