Monday, June 18, 2012

Thank You for the Donations 奨学金ありがとうございました


At my Odissi debut ceremony, there was this beautifully made donation box created by my good friend Kaori. I was not aware of this generous gesture and was speechless when it was handed to me after the ceremony.

Kaori, Mika (who unfortunately could not be there since she was traveling overseas) and Monique planned this for me, and Monique who helped me to organize the ceremony asked my teacher Sarala and Vishnu if this would be appropriate, and they apparently gave approval as scholarship fund.

Yes, I am planning to go to India this coming November and December to further my Odissi training. My friends knew that I would need a good sum of money to do so, and this is how they so kindly made it closer to possible.

I put this box on my altar the night of the ceremony, and the next morning, with my parents who came all the way from Japan for this ceremony and I counted the generous gifts in the box and found $1,103 in it. My parents and I were speechless and crying out. 

Additionally, my grandmother, uncles and aunts in Japan also gave me money to celebrate this marking point, so together, I received $1,343. 


By using this mean of communication (blog), I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you generous support. I do not know who put money in the box and how much he or she did. It was all anonymous gift, so I am sorry that I cannot send those of you who donated an individual thank you card. Please know that your kindness touched me deeply and inspired me to devote myself to this art form even more seriously, so that I can refine myself as a dancer and share the art form with the community in the hope that the art form would touch people's hearts in some good ways.


I would like to share with you how I have decided to use this sum of money. I used the money to fully support myself.

I am keeping $603 to use it toward my trip to India.

I have passed $500 on to the Darshan Dance Project, which is my dance teacher's school. The school will be able to utilize the fund to train its students by bringing master teachers and hosting workshops. I decided to do so, so that not only I but also my dance sisters and brothers would benefit, and by us becoming more polished dancers, we can give back to the community more through our performances.

I also donated $240 to an organization called Daya Orphanage in Orissa, India. Odissi dance originated in Orissa, and I am a schoolteacher, so I wanted to give it back to the place it came from in some ways that had to do with children. After some intensive research, I felt good to donate this money to this organization. "DAYA (Destitute Aged and Young Association), is a voluntary non-profit with a mission to work for the poorest of the poor both in rural and urban areas in the state of Orissa. The Hindi word DAYA means compassion in English. DAYA has been working in Orissa for the last 15 years and has undertaken different social developmental projects."

"Mrs. Shantipriya Basiston is the founder of the organization. After obtaining her Bachelor in Education she worked for several years as a primary school teacher in the Pulbani District of Orissa. This is a tribal district were there is much poverty. Shantipriya saw the great need among the women and children and how the children were often neglected, ill treated and unwanted."

I heard back from Mrs. Basiston, "It is so generous of you for the donation. We are on our way to build an evening school for slum children, we will use your donation in that cause. We are also happy to know about your interest in Odissi dance. Some of our children in our project do this dance. If you ever come to Orisha (Orissa) then you are most welcome to our project."

I cannot wait to visit her program and the children when I go to Orissa in this winter.

Lastly, if anyone was made to feel a little pressured by my brother walking around with this donation box after the ceremony, please accept my apology. If I had seen him doing it, I would surely have stopped him. The box was supposed to quietly sit on the table without self-advertisement, and he did not know. His only intention was to help his little sister's (my) dream to come true :)

Thank you, everyone. When I make it to India this winter, I will post pictures here!

--------------------- Japanese -------------------

4月に行われた私のオディッシィダンスのデビューセレモニー(免許皆伝式のようなもの)で、上の写真に見られます、それはそれはきれいに作られた寄付金箱が置かれていました。友人の香織さんが作ってくれたものです。私はこの箱の存在は知らず、式が終ってから受け取ったときには言葉がありませんでした。

香織さんと美香さん(式には日本に行っていたため残念ながら参加出来なかったけれども)とモニークが考えてくれたものらしく、式をコーディネートしてくれていたモニークがサララ先生とヴィシュヌ先生にそれが適切であるか聞いてくれたようで、ちゃんと許可を得てから置かれていたようです。

写真から分かるように(英語が読める方は)私はインドへダンス留学をする予定です。今年の11月と12月に。そのために多額な貯金が必要なことを友人達は知っていました。心優しい友人達は、私がその夢に少しでも近づけるようにと働きかけてくれたのでした。

式が終った後、この箱を家のある祭壇のような場所に置き、翌日にこのセレモニーのためにマウイを訪れていた両親と一緒に数えました。そこには何と$1,103が入っておりました。私たちは言葉がありませんでした。そして感謝の涙が溢れてきました。

それに加え、私の祖母や伯父、伯母たちから頂いたお祝い金を含めますと合計で$1,343になりました。

この場をお借りして、皆さまの温かい支援に心からの感謝の気持ちを述べさせてください。
ありがとうございました。
どなたが、そしてどれくらいの金額の寄付をしてくださったのか分かりません。全て匿名での寄付でした。なのでお一人お一人に感謝状をお送り出来ずに申し訳ありません。しかしこれを読んでくださっているのでしたらお伝えしたい。あなた様の親切な支援は私の心に深く触れ、さらに精進していこうという意欲を湧かせてくれました。踊り手として精進することで、また皆さまにこの踊りを提供できるように、そして願わくば踊りを通して皆さまに少しでも感動を届けられるように。

これらの寄付金をどのように使うことにしたかを、今日は報告させて頂きます。全てを私の踊り手として、人として精進するために使わせて頂きました。

まず$1,103のうちの$603をインド留学に関わる費用に使わせてもらいます。

そして$500をダルシャンダンスプロジェクトという、私の先生の学校に寄付しました。そうすることで、素晴らしい講師たちをお招きしワークショップを開くことが出来ます。そうすれば私だけでなく、私の姉弟弟子たちも恩恵を受けられるからです。そして私たちがグループとしてより良い踊り手になることで、より一層踊りを通してこの地域(マウイ)に貢献出来るかと思ったからです。

そして$240をインドのオリッシ州にあるダヤ孤児院に寄付しました。オディッシィダンスはオリッシ州から発祥しました。そして私は皆さまもご存知の通り小学校の教師です。オディッシィダンスが発祥した土地で、何かしらの形で子ども達のためになることに使いたかったのです。しばしのリサーチの結果、この孤児院に寄付することにしました。この機関はオリッシ州の貧しい子ども達のために過去15年に渡り、様々な活動をしてきました。ヒンディー語でダヤは慈悲という意味だそうです。

シャンティプリヤ・バシストンさんがこの機関の創始者です。彼女は教師の資格を取得後、小学校の教師として数年働いたそうです。彼女が教えた地域は貧困が極めており、女性と子ども達が祖末に扱われていることを目のあたりにしたことが、機関を発足しようと思ったいきさつだそうです。

寄付をした後、シャンティプリヤさんからメールが届きました。「ありがとうございました。スラム街の子ども達のために夜間学校を建てているところです。そのためにあなたの寄付金を使わせてもらいます。あなたがオディッシィダンスを学んでいると聞いて嬉しく思います。私どもの生徒たちの中にもオディッシィダンスを学んでいる子達がいます。もしオリッサに来ることがあれば、是非私どもの学校に立ち寄ってくださいね。」

今年の冬に行くときに、彼女と子ども達に会えることが楽しみでなりません。

最後に。私の兄(血は繋がっていないけれども、兄と呼ぶ存在)が式の後、このドネーション箱を持って歩き回ったそうですが、それにより少しでも圧力を感じたり嫌な想いをされた方がいらっしゃいましたら、心からお詫び申し上げます。もしそれを目撃したなら私は勿論止めていましたが、知りませんでした。その箱は静かにテーブルの端に置かれているはずでした。それを彼は知らずに、ただ妹(私)の夢を叶えようとその一心で歩き回っていました。

皆さま、誠に誠にありがとうございました。

今年の冬にインドに行けた際には、その様子を写真でこちらのブログにて紹介しますね。

No comments:

Post a Comment