Monday, October 29, 2012

Emancipate 解き放つ


If you know me, you probably have some idea how uncomfortable I can be to invite people to my birthday party.

Well, I did it (with friends' help) for the first time! I did it because I was turning 30 and wanted to set some challenge for myself to overcome. I wanted to step out of my comfort zone. Albert Einstein said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."  So I said to myself, "Let me try something new and see what would come out of it."

My very first cake with my name on it!
I thought I was supposed to prepare the cake, but my friends
Yako and Fusayo said, "No way!"
They ordered my favorite raspberry chocolate cake from
Mana Foods! What a great gift!

初めて自分の名前がケーキに書かれているのを見た!
ケーキは自分が用意するものだと思っていたら、やこと
房代に「ちが〜う!」と指摘された。
マナフーズの私のお気に入りのラズベリーチョコレート
ケーキをわざわざ注文してくれた。何てありがたい。

Also, I thought that this would be a good opportunity to make peace with the voice in my head which I've been hearing since I was quite young. The voice would say things like, "Who do you think you are?" "You're not good enough to invite people." "You don't deserve it." I've done some serious work on this for the past years, and the voice has been dissolving more and more, but a bit of was still there, so I wanted to give it the last gentle push to say, "Thank you for protecting me all these years, but you don't have to do that anymore. I'm big and strong now. You can go now."

I thought that this birthday party would be a good way to emancipate that part of me.

And it was.
With Monkey Naoko.
モンキーな、なおちゃんと

I was surrounded by love and was able to allow myself to soak up the love.
The proof? Here you go: AKARI'S 30TH BIRTHDAY.
My wonderful friend, Richard Marks took these photos and made a slide show within 14 hours since he left the party... I did not invite him for this purpose of course; it was such a wonderful gift.

You would see people holding candles in this slide show and may wonder why. It is because my name Akari means light in Japanese. It is a soft light, not so bright - like a candle light. In Japan, we have three different types of "alphabets." Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji (Chinese characters) are those three. My name can be written in any of these. In Kanji, my name has 3 characters. The character for "A" (安) means peace. The character for "Ka" (佳) means goodness. The character for "Ri" (里) means hometown or birthplace - where we come from. My parents named me to wish that I would grow into a light who could remind people the peaceful, good, home where we all came from. It is a beautiful wish, and I remember hearing this when I was young, and I felt my heart trembled feeling a deep honor and appreciation. Also, my last name Ueoka means "up hill." I assume that my ancestors lived somewhere on top of a hill. As a whole, my name means "light on top of a hill."

On my birthday, I wanted to honor my parents by holding what they named me after. Without them, I would not be here. I also wanted to honor my Maui family who have been here for me for the past 11 years. Without them, I would not be here, either.

The candles represented the light within each person. Everyone carries the light and let it shine so beautifully in his/her own unique way. I love that. When we come together, we can brighten the world and share the warmth with one another. Personally, the past year was particularly challenging for me. But each time when my candle flame was about to be put out, someone came. Someone rekindled the light for me, so that I could go on. For that, I am deeply, deeply grateful. I hope that my friends know that I am here for them whenever they need a little help on igniting their "flame" again.

I love you all with all of my heart.

-------------------------- Japanese --------------------------

A really yummy cake my friend baked for me
友人が焼いてくれた、とてもおいしいケーキ

私は人に頼むことが苦手です。そんなんですから、誕生日パーティーを開いて友人を招待するなんて。私をしらばくご存知の方は、それがどれくらい難しいことか想像がつくかと思われます。なので一度もしたことがありませんでした。

でも、やりましたよ。(友達のヘルプのおかげで。)今年、やりました!。30歳になるので、何か苦手なことをわざとやりたかったのです。「心地の良いゾーン」から一歩外に出てみたかったのです。アルバート・アインシュタインも言っています。「狂気の沙汰は、同じことを繰り返しながら、違う結果を望むことだ。」と。なので「それじゃ、何か新しいことをしてみようじゃないか。そしてどうなるか見てみよう。」と自分に言いました。

Flowers as gifts
プレゼントの花々

それからパーティーを開くことは、小さいときから時々聞こえる「あの声」と終止符を打つのに格好の機会なのではないかと思ったのです。その声は事ある毎に言いました。「何様のつもりだ?」とか、例えば「あんたは誕生日パーティーを開いていいほど良い人間じゃない」とか、「それをしてもらうほどの価値があんたには無い」とか。結構意地悪でしょう?その声と平和を紡ぐために、ここ数年真剣に取り組んできました。最近はめっきり聞こえなくなっていました。でも、少し残像がありました。なので、最後の一押しをして、送り出してあげたかったのです。「もういいよ。ずっとそうやって私のことをいつも守ろうとしてくれたんだよね。ありがとう。でも私は大きくなって強くなったらから、もう大丈夫。行っていいよ。」って。

このパーティーがその声を解き放つ良い機会になるのではと思ったのです。

その通りでした。



沢山の愛に囲まれ、その愛をしっかりと受け取ることを自分に許すことができました。
証拠?ここにありますよ。「AKARI'S 30TH BIRTHDAY。」友人のリチャード・マークスさんが撮ってスライドショーにしてくださいました。しかも「バイバ〜イ」って帰って行った14時間後には出来ていました。もちろんそのために呼んだのではないのですけど、素晴らしいプレゼントでした。


このスライドショーの中で、皆さんロウソクを手にしているのが見えるかと思います。それは「あかり」と名付けられた名前のためです。私の名前は安佳里と書きます。小さいときに両親になぜあかりと名付けたのか聞いたことがあります。そのとき、「暗やみの中でも光を灯せるような人になってほしい。」「人々をほっとさせる灯りとなってほしくて付けた。」と聞きました。そして「らかでいふるを思い出させるような灯りになってほしい。」と。それを聞いたとき、私の心が光栄な気持ちと感謝の気持ちで震えていたのを覚えています。苗字は上岡ですから、きっとご先祖様は丘の上の方にでも住んでいたのかな?苗字と合わせると、「丘の上の灯り」ですね。

誕生日に、私の名前の由来となったものを持つことで、両親に敬意を表したかったのです。両親無くして私はありえません。それからマウイの家族たちにも、この11年間育んでくれてありがとうの気持ちを伝えたくて。両親と同じく彼ら無くして、今の私はありえません。

I've been receiving lots of coconut oils lately.
I guess that's what I should use on my body now :)
最近ココナッツバターのクリームをもらうことが多い。
それを使いなさいということか。

ロウソクの灯りは、一人一人の内なる光を表しています。この世に存在する全ての人が、みんなその人にしかない光を放ちながら生きています。私はそれを見るのが大好きです。一本では儚い光かもしれないけれど、集まれば眩い光となります。そしてその温かさをみんなで分かち合うことができます。昨年は個人的に、辛いことが多くあった一年でした。でも、私のロウソクが消え入りそうになる度に誰かが来て、そっと火を灯していってくれました。そのことに感謝しても感謝しきれない思いがあります。お友達の皆さんが、同じことを私がいつでもして差し上げる気持ちでいることを知っていますように。消え入りそうなとき、呼んでください。あかりを持っていきますから。

みんなのことを、心から愛しています。

No comments:

Post a Comment