Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Letter I Wrote at Age 19 19歳の時に書いた手紙

Akari - about 4 hours old
私 生まれて4時間くらい
Speaking of birthdays, I found a letter I wrote when I turned 19. It was about a month after I moved to Maui alone without speaking English. I was attending the Maui Language Institute at that time, and despite of my poor English skill, I was compelled to write this letter both in Japanese and English, so I tried :) I would say that it was a brave attempt :) The grammar is not perfect, but I paste it below without correction.

誕生日と言えば、最近こんな手紙を見つけました。19歳になったときに書いたものです。その頃は、丁度マウイに来て1ヶ月が経った頃でした。マウイ・ラングエージ・インスティチュートという語学学校に通っていました。まだ学校に行き始めて1ヶ月だというのに、英語もままならないのに、この手紙を英語と日本語の両方で書きたいと強く思ったのを覚えています。なのでやってみました。果敢な試みだったと言えるかと思います(笑)。文法めちゃくちゃですが、あえて直さずに載せます。

Dear Friend,

I thought, “Well, what is a birthday?” I have just celebrated my birthday with my family and friends, and I have not been to thank for that I was born in this world and grew up healthy.

This year’s birthday is the first time that I spent without my family, so I thought, “This is a good opportunity to spend time by myself.” Of course it is also nice if I have a birthday party with many people, but I chose to spend my birthday by myself.

Mother and father, thank you for giving birth to me. You showed me your love for 19 years. I have a wonderful family. I am proud of you, and I am proud of myself, Akari Ueoka, who is your child ^-^. Thank you for bringing me up to be such a nice person. (It is a joke.) You have a talent for bringing up children. I love myself. It is important to love myself in life. Thank you for teaching me that. Michimasa, my younger brother, I am very happy that I am your sister, and that you are my brother. Thank you.

I have lived for just 19 years, but I have had many things, and I have met many people. They gave me lots of love. Therefore, I would like to give my gratitude to them.

In the early morning of the 27th, I went to La Perous Bay in order to snorkel and to meet dolphins. I meditated, and I entered the ocean. There were neither winds nor waves; it was a silent ocean. When I swam many thoughts and ideas came up and faded out, came up and faded out...It repeated, and my mind was gradually calming down, and then there was nothing. It was comfortable. I liked that time. Afterwards, I went back to the seashore, and I let my body flat with the wave while holding my knees. Some fishes swam. The sunshine came into the ocean, and it made many pillars of light. “Wow it’s so nice,” I thought. I did not know how long I spent there. I heard only my breath, and I felt something. Although, I did not know what it was that felt. I had many questions “ I am here now?” “I am I, but who are you?” “Where is a border of me? And where are you from?” “ I should always see, but why cannot I always see?”

I sat on a rock after I got out of the ocean, and I just saw the ocean for a while. My mind was clear.

I ate a lunch, and I bought a cookie like a cake. It was birthday cake for me.

In the evening, I went to Haleakala in order to see the sun set. It was a sunny day, and there was a rainbow, but the sky got gradually clouded over and got foggy when I arrived at the mountaintop. I got out of the car, and it was so humid that it seems I entered the water. The cool air I wore as a jacket. My breath went around my whole body. I could not spend a lot of time up there, for the rain fell. However, I had a good and silent time.

My birthday plans were met at La Perous Bay and Haleakala. I could not meet dolphins and could not see the sun set in the end. However, I had no discontent. Rather, I felt full of blessings. I think the reason is that many people who live near or far from me sent many blessing. We can send or receive prayers regardless of time or distance. And moreover, I could face me, and my heart was full of gratitude. There is a relation between the two places, it is the water. I felt as if I was reborn from the womb.

I am happy because I could meet you. I want to say many thanks. I pray that you always be with your light.

Thank you God, thank you for today.  Thank you for a heart that is able to know how loved I am by everyone and everything. Please lead me in your way.

Akari Ueoka

P.S. It is difficult for me that write an English letter, so I was helped by my teacher. Thank you teacher for kindness teaching.


-------------------------- Japanese --------------------- 

日本では昨日、マウイでは今日が、私の19歳の誕生日でした。」

「はて、誕生日とはいったい・・・」と考えてみました。今まではお祝いしてもらう方の立場でしか受け止めていなくて、私がこの世界に生まれたこと、そしてここまで大きくなってこられたことに対する感謝を、していなかったなぁと思いました。

今年は私にとって初めての、家族と離れて迎える誕生日でした。そこでこれも良い機会だなぁと思い、パーティーのように大勢の人と過ごすのもすてきですが、今年の誕生日は一人で迎えようと計画しました。

お母さん、お父さん、私を生んでくださって、ありがとうございました。19年間、たくさんのこの上ない愛情を注いでくださって、幸せな家族に囲まれ、私は生きてきました。もちろんこれからも。二人のことを誇りに思っています。そして二人の子である、「上岡安佳里」を心から誇りに思っています。私はわたしが大好きです。こんなにすてきな子に(自分で言うなって?)育ててくれてありがとう。二人は子育ての天才です(笑)。生きていくうえで、自分をどれほど愛せるか、それは全てにつながっていくことだと思います。自分を愛せることはすばらしいことですね。それを教えてくれてありがとう。充昌、こんなおねえちゃんですが、これからもよろしく。みちと姉弟(きょうだい)であること、言葉に表しようがないほどに嬉しいです。ありがとう。

おじいちゃんやおばあちゃんから見たら、まだ1/4世紀を生きただけの若造なんだろうなぁと思います。それでもこの19年間色々ありました。その間に出会ってきた人は たくさんです。その方々に私はたくさんの愛をもらいました。そうして今の私があります。その方々一人一人に、手を合わせられますように。

今日は、まず朝は、家から一時間と少しのところにある、イルカの来る海へ早起きをして行ってきました。簡単なメディテーション(瞑想)をして海に入りました。イルカさんたちと会うことはできなかったのですが、シュノーケルを着けて(つけて)ただ黙々と泳ぎました。今日は波もなく、風もなく、静かな静かな海でした。泳いでいると色々な考えが、波の泡のように浮かんでは消え、浮かんでは消えの繰り返しで、そのうちにただ「泳いでいる自分」がそこにいて、何も考えていない、無のような時があって、それがとても気持ちよかったです。しばらくそうしてから陸の近くまで戻ってきて、今度はひざを抱えて丸まって、ただ波に身を任せて揺られてみました。眼下では魚さんたちがそれぞれに泳いでいました。太陽の光が射してそれらが何本もの光の柱となって、海の中に射しこんでいて、きれいだなぁとか思いつつ、またボーっとしていました。どれくらいそうしていたのか分かりません。自分の息の音だけが聞こえて、そのうちに何て言う名前の気持ちなのか分からないのですが、不思議な気持ちになってきて、「私が今ここにいるということ・・・」、「私は私で、でもあなたは誰?」、「どこからどこまでが“わたし”なのだろう、そしてあそこの“わたし”はどこから来るのかな、いつも見てなきゃいけないところだろうに、どうしていつも見ることができないのかな。」 ―しばらくそうしていました。陸に上がってからも海を見てボーっとしていました。今日はとてもボーっとしました。よくあんなに“ボー”に集中できたなぁと思う程でした(笑)。そうして気持ちはすっきりしたものでした。  

それからお昼ご飯を食べて、小さなクッキーのようなケーキのようなものを買いました。それはバースデーケーキ代わり。おいしかったよ。  

夕方は、San-setを見るためにハレアカラ(ハワイ語で太陽の家という意味で、世界最大の休火山で火口は標高3000mのところにあります。私はそのハレアカラの麓と中腹の間くらいに住んでいます。)に登りました。日の入り時刻の前に着きたかったので、4時半に出ました。とてもよい天気で虹も架かっていましたが、頂上に近づくにつれて霧が出てきて視界が悪くなりました。頂上に着く頃には濃霧となっていて、車から降りてみると水の中にいるような感じでした。空気がひんやり肌にまとってきて、吸う息は体の細胞の一つ一つに行き渡るような気がしました。雨がけっこう激しく降ったので、外でゆっくりすることはできなかったのですが、ここでも静かな時間を過ごすことができました。  

この二つ(海とハレアカラ)が「誕生日の計画」でした。結局のところ、イルカさんには会えなかったし、お日さまが沈むのも見られなかったわけですが、何の不満もない、満たされた気持ちでいっぱいの一日でした。それはきっと、離れていても、近くにいても、たくさんの人からのお祝いの気持ちがたくさん届いたからだと思います。気持ちや祈りというものは、時間も距離も越えて送ったり、受けたりできるものですものね。そして私自身、静かにわたしと向き合うことができ、感謝の気持ちでいっぱいになっていった一日だったからだと思います。二つとも水が関係していて、まるで羊水から再び産まれたような感じでした。  

○○さん、○○さんに出会えた私はとても幸せ者です。たくさんのありがとうを贈りたいです。○○さんの毎日が光と共にありますように。  

神さま、今日という一日をありがとうございました。私がたくさんの人に愛されていることを知ることができる心をくださってありがとうございます。19歳のこの一年を、私が歩むべき道を歩むことができますよう、お導きください。  

安佳里

No comments:

Post a Comment