Thursday, October 24, 2013

Looking for Warmth 温かさを求めて


I happened to come across with these 12 crayons someone gave me when I was in an elementary school. Apparently, I have brought them to Maui.

小学生のときにもらった12色のクレヨンを、最近見つけました。
マウイに持ってきていたようですな。


They have not been used yet.
I was looking at these crayons, admiring their colors and shapes, and then I remembered how I used to the same when I was in elementary school. It gave me a warm feeling.

まだ使われていない。
この色たちと形を惚れ惚れと眺めていたら、同じように眺めていた小学生の頃を思い出しました。
ほかほかな気持ちになりました。


The miso I made on July 26th is now ready to be eaten.
(Here is the blog entry about it.)
I shall receive this tasty blessing co-created by the nature and time.

7月26日に作ったお味噌、出来上がりました。
(そのときのことは、ここに。)
時間と自然が生み出した味わいを、いただきます。


I used a sewing machine for the first time since high school.
Surprisingly, my body remembered how to use it more than my brain.
I could even load the bobbin thread.
It looked like a ship voyaging through a red sea.

高校生のときぶりにミシンを使いました。
驚くことに、頭よりも体が使い方を覚えていました。
下糸もちゃんと巻けました。
紅い海原を進んでいく船のように見えました。


My childhood friend, Chinatsu sent me a very unique card from India. (the left one)
She designed it, printed it herself, and made it from the scratch (meaning even the paper)!
I love her artistic sense. She had her own world since she was young.
Here is a blog entry about seeing her in India for the first time since we graduated from an intermediate school.

幼なじみの千夏から、とてもユニークな葉書が届きました。(左の)
彼女がインドでデザインし、印刷したもの。しかも紙まで自分で作ったらしい。
彼女の芸術的センスが大好きです。小さい頃から彼女独特の世界観がありました。
ここに中学校を卒業して以来初めて、なんとインドで彼女と再会したときのことを書いてあります。


In June, I moved to a new place. (Here is a blog entry about that.) I've been loving this new place so much, but one disappointment is not having a bath tub. As someone who loves to take a hot bath (especially coming from Japan where everyone takes a bath daily), I could not give up on this desire, so I kept looking for a solution. One of the solutions I had in my mind was to find a big bucket and use it as a tub. But I hadn't found a right size. When I found one, it was made out of plastic, and I did not want plastic. 

In the meanwhile, winter was slowly but surely approaching even here in Hawaii, and it was getting colder everyday which made me miss a hot bath even more. One day, I stepped inside a store which is for gardeners and farmers, thinking maybe there was a chance. Yes, there was. I found the right one, an oval shape made out of steel. Hiding my excitement in my chest, at a corner of the store, I sat in it to test its practicality. I think the security camera witnessed that this bucket passed my evaluation. 

When I sit in a gym style (embracing my knees), the water level is right above my belly button. Not too bad. When I want to warm my shoulders, I slide down a bit and put the legs up in the air. This is a good exercise to strengthen the abdominal muscles. When I am done, I can simply flip the bucket over inside the shower, and when I don't use it, it stands by the shower, and it's not in a way. It's working out nicely. I am grateful that one more of my dreams has come true!

6月に引っ越してきたこの新しい家の住み心地は抜群で(そのときのことはここに)、すっごく気に入っているのですが、一つだけ残念なのが湯船がないこと。お風呂好きとしては、やっぱり温かいお湯につかりたいということで、色々解決策を模索してきたここ数ヶ月。解決策の一つは、大きなバケツを買って、それをシャワーの中に置いて、そこにお湯をためて入ろうというものだったのですが、なかなか適当なサイズが見つからなかったり、見つかってもプラスチックで出来ていたり。

そうこうしているうちに、気がついたら肌寒い10月がやってきていた矢先、ガーデンや農家の方達が行くであろうあるお店に「もしかして?」と思って入ってみたら、この大きな楕円形の鋼(はがね)のバケツを見つけたのですよ。「おぉ、バッチリかも!?」と一人興奮を隠し、お店の一角でバケツの中で体育座りをしてみる客一人。このバケツがめでたく私の厳重な審査にパスしたことを、監視カメラが見ておりました。

体育座りをすると鳩尾(みぞおち)までお湯がはれます。肩まで浸かりたいときは、両足を宙に上げて腹筋を使うと肩まで温められます。腹筋を鍛える良い機会になるでしょう。終ったらバケツをひっくり返せば、簡単にシャワーの排水溝に水を捨てることが出来、使わないときはシャワーの外に置いていても邪魔になりませんし、いい感じです。そんなこんなで、夢がまた一つ叶ってありがたいです。


I found a bread seller on the side of Kula Highway.
All breads were handmade, using organic ingredients.
They smelled nice, so I bought one to try. It was tasty. I want to buy it again. $6.

クラハイウェイの道路脇で売られていた、手作りのオーガニックのパン。
美味しそうだったので買ってみた。美味しかった。$6。


My friend Mika gave me so many star fruits, so I tried to make star fruits jam for the first time.
But I didn't have any sugar at home (I always don't), so I put honey and salt instead.
I think it turned out be pretty good, but I think it would not have lasted for many days. I finished them quickly.

友人の美香さんから、一人ではとても食べきれないくらい沢山のスターフルーツを頂いたので、初めてのジャム作りに挑戦してみました。お砂糖をいつも家に置いていないので作り始めてから、「あっ砂糖がない」と気づき、「まぁいいや。ハチミツとお塩だけで。」とやってみたところ、おいしくできました。ただあまり日持ちはしないだろうと思って、すぐに食べきりました。


One of my past students' family have a booth at the farmers market, and they often give me vegetables. I am grateful. I found these cute carrots, tangled together.

ある昔の教え子のご家族がファーマーズマーケットで野菜を売っているのですが、ありがたいことによく野菜を無料でくださいます。その中にこんなかわいい、仲良しのにんじんさんたちを見つけました。


They were put in vege soup
野菜スープに入れました。


Many vegetables. The time when they are slowly cooked in a pot is a calming, fulfilling time.

野菜たっぷり。コトコト煮ている間の時間は幸せだ。


I put lots of ginger, too.

生姜もいっぱい入れました。

I hope to always keep both my heart and body warm in this cold season.

寒くても、いつも体も心もぽかぽかにしてあげたいものです。

No comments:

Post a Comment