Monday, December 24, 2012

Soaring Voices ソアリング・ボイス


At the Maui Arts & Cultural Center (MACC), there is a stunning exhibition called "Soaring Voices" until January 6th, and a great thing about this is that there is no admission fee.

"This international traveling museum exhibition presents the rich and innovative ceramic culture of Japan through the exquisite works of 25 female artists." (according to the MACC website)

I was glad I went. 

When I visited the exhibition, there was just me, so I could really take time to look at each masterwork. Whenever I visit an art museum or an art exhibition like this, I like to look at each item. I don't like to skip any. First, I look at one without reading the title or any information about the artist or how it was made. It's just me and the result of an artist's work simply meeting. No previous information needed or wanted. I want to be free from all that. In a neutral place, I let myself soak up everything I can from the art piece. Then, I read whatever texts available for me to read. I like to read those because they build a stronger relationship between my interpretation and the art piece. When I am done looking at each piece, I go back to the ones that had some lasting impressions on me and ask myself why I returned to those. 


This is my art museum routine. As you can imagine, it takes time and energy, but it is worth it. I mean think about it that artists take a really long time to create an art piece until they are satisfied enough to exhibit. In the process, they put so much of themselves - contemplation, imagination, and most of all, inspiration beyond our imagination. When I stand in front of an art piece, I like to imagine what the artist was feeling as he or she was creating it. They must be humans just like us, so they must have daily lives to attend - chores, errands, and bills to pay. "But they have made it possible to bring their focus to create this piece I am looking at right now" is one of many thoughts I had. "If they could, then I should be able to do that, too (not in a ceramic way but in my own field of work)" is the next thought that came to me. It inspired me. There is so much potential in each one of us. It is up to us to recognize it and determine to bring it out. 

When I stand in front of an art piece, I remind myself that I am witnessing an outcome of a conceiving and a birthing process. There was a beautiful, sincere love making between a soul and the divine source. Therefore, I should approach with reverence and dignity. I cannot help to smile at each art piece in my heart as if I am looking at a beautiful newborn baby. 

In this "Soaring Voices" exhibition, I heard their voices clearly, and it fulfilled my heart. That's what art is all bout. 


---------------- Japanese --------------

マウイアート&カルチュラルセンターにて、「ソアリング・ボイス」という素晴らしい展示が1月6日まで開かれています。(ソアリングボイスとは「天翔ける声」というような意味合い。)何と入場券無料で。

「この世界中をツアーしてきた移動式の展示会では、 日本人女性作家25人の大変優れた作品を通し、日本の奥深くかつ革新的な焼き物(陶磁器)の文化を紹介します。 」(MACCのウエブサイトの紹介文を簡単に日本語訳しました。)

行って良かったです。 

私が行ったときには他に誰もいなかったので、ゆっくりとそれぞれの作品を見ることが出来ました。いつも美術館やこういった展示会に行くと、それぞれの作品を見ます。何点か抜かしてしまうのは嫌なのです。題名や作者のプロフィール、どうやって作られたかなどの文面は読まずに、まず作品だけを見ます。ただ単純に作品と出会いたいのです。予備知識は欲しくないのです。そういうものから解き放たれたところで出会いたいのです。ニュートラルな場所で、作品から受け取れるだけのものを受け取ります。それから色々な文面を読みます。それらを読むと私の解釈と作品との関係が強くなります。そうやって見て回り、一周すると印象に残った作品に戻り、「何で私はここにまた戻ってきたのか?」と自問自答します。

これが私の美術館でのお決まりのコースです。想像のつく通り、時間とエネルギーがかかります。でもそれだけの価値があると思うのです。だって考えてみてください。一つの作品を仕上げるのに、芸術家達は途方もないほどの時間とエネルギーをかけます。その過程で、思慮、想像、そしてインスピレーションを注ぎ込みます。ある作品の前に立つと、その芸術家が作っていたときに何を感じていたのだろうかと想像するのが好きです。彼女たちは私たちと同じ人間ですから普段の生活もあるでしょう。諸々の用事、家事、払わないといけない光熱費など。「でも彼女らは、私が今見ているこの作品を作るためにひたむきに焦点を合わせることが出来たのだなぁ。」と思いました。そして「誰かが出来たなら私にだって出来るはずだ。(陶器の世界でというわけではなく、私は私の世界で。)」と励まされました。皆それぞれに、素晴らしい可能性が秘められています。でもそれらを見つけ開拓する決心をするかどうかは、私たち一人一人にかかっています。 

いつも何かしらの作品の前に立つと、「私は今、受胎と出産の結果を目のあたりにしているんだな」と自分に言い聞かせます。ある魂(芸術家)とインスピレーションの源(神)との間に、美しい衷心からの愛の交歓があったのです。なので見る側として、そこに敬意と尊厳があるべきなのです。それぞれの作品を見ていると、まるで生まれたばかりの赤ちゃんを見ているようで心の中で微笑まずにはいられません。 

この「ソアリング・ボイス(天翔ける声)」の展示会では彼女たちの声をしっかりと聞いたような気がしました。そして心がいっぱいになりました。それが芸術というものなのでしょう。

No comments:

Post a Comment