Saturday, December 22, 2012

Haiku 俳句


This book is called "Saijiki."
It contains all the "kigo" (season words) and their descriptions.
I love turning pages and reading whatever page I come upon.
これは歳時記といい、季語とその説明が書かれている。
この本を暇があれば適当に開いて読むのが好きだ。

Since I was quite young, I have been mesmerized by the world of poems, tanka, and haiku. I loved making them, and I love reading the ones made by others.

How precisely can we reproduce the beauty, fragility, grief, and joy in words? I have been pursuing this question of mine and its process and challenge, so much so that I would tremble with excitement. Of course there are times when I cannot do it quite precisely. But there are times it happens, and when it does, the indescribable feeling falls into the right gut, and its ecstasy is not easily replaceable by something else. (I tried to describe this process in my recent poem, "When My Heart Heaves.")

I grew up in Tokyo between age 7 and 15. I went to the Minamigaoka Elementary School in Nerima-ku. The school principal loved poems. She regularly copied famous poems with her beautiful brush strokes and put it up on the bulletin board right outside of her office. 

I enjoyed going there to read a new poem she chose for the week. And there was a small box in front of the bulletin board in which students could submit their own poems, and the principal would make a fair copy of them and would put them up on the bulletin board. I often submitted my poems. I appreciated her for sparing her busy time to do such thing. I also loved seeing my poem being published by her beautiful calligraphy. I enjoyed sharing my work with people although I was a bit nervous to see my work take off of my hands to fly out to the exposed world. Yet I learned the joy of expressing my voice that way. I think that she was the first person who taught me the pleasure of sharing my work with others. 

Inside of the Saijiki.
歳時記のあるページ

Also, during my elementary school years, I was taking a correspondence course for Tanka (a type of Japanese poetry). In the course, I made as many tanka as I could and then submitted via mail once a month, and a teacher would touch up or correct and send them back to me. I could not wait to hear back from my teacher.

Back then, one of my hobbies was to randomly turn a page in a dictionary and read (I still love to do this). Whenever I found a word that touched a particular string of my heart, I jotted it down in my notebook. To me, they were like stickers, badges, or marbles that children enjoy collecting. I sometimes opened the notebook and admired each word – the particular scenery and sparkles each one carried. There were some words that I had not experienced yet. I thought, “I don’t quite understand what this word really means, but there will be a day when I will, so I’m going to keep this.” As I got older, there were times when I thought, “Aha! This is the exact situation where I could use the word.” Being able to actually experience a word was simply satisfying, and it surely expanded my world. 

“Maybe life is about connecting an experience to a vocabulary” is what a teenager Akari was thinking at that time. And if the experience was rather sad, knowing that there was already a word to describe the situation encouraged me because it meat that someone else who had had come before me had experienced it. I was not alone. 

In summer of 2010, I was invited to join the Maui Hototogisu Kai – a Maui’s own haiku group which is a recognized and registered group by the Japan Hototogisu Kai. Ever since then, I’ve been enjoying the world of haiku. Usually, there are about 8 of us, and we follow the rules and procedures to appreciate each other’s haiku. The participants are originally from Japan and older than me, so their haiku is as deep as the length of their existence on this planet. Some came to Maui right after the WWII, and just listening to their life stories enriches my life. Also it helps me to keep my Japanese intact (since I don't use it much in my daily life). I am often reminded of how beautifully deep the language and culture of Japan is (just like every culture is). 

Haiku is a rather short poem. It is consisted of 5, 7, 5 syllables. I like its simplicity a lot. Cutting off and shaking off all the excessiveness and its bold approach is stunning to me. Yet, in its simplicity, there is actually a great deal of information embedded. Detecting them is another charm of haiku. Haiku is like boiled down soup. If you boil down too much, it would be ruined. If you don’t cook it long enough, it would not have any taste.

I am thankful for having this opportunity to apply myself closely to haiku in a foreign land, and for meeting such wonderful people who have the common interest.

------------- Japanese -------------

小さい頃から、俳句や短歌そして詩に心を魅了されてきた。創作する側としても、そして素晴らしい作品の数々を読む側としても。

この世の美しさを、儚さを、悲しさを、そして喜びを、どれだけ研ぎ澄ませて再度表現すことが出来るのか。その過程と挑戦に身震いするほどの喜びを見いだしてきた。もちろん上手く出来ないときもある。でもちゃんと出来たときの「すとん」と腑に落ちていく感覚、忘我の果ては何ものにも代え難い。(その体験の一部を最近書いた「心が波畝るとき」という詩に吹き込んだ。)


I jot down all of my haiku in this book (children's note book from Japan).
この「れんらくちょう」に俳句を書いている。

私は小学2年生から中学3年生まで東京で過ごしたのだが、通った練馬区立南ヶ丘小学校の当時の校長先生が詩が大好きな方であった。(女性の校長先生であった。)校長室のドアの横にある掲示板に、校長先生直筆で有名な詩を清書されて定期的に張り出されていたので、それを読みに行くのが楽しみだった。そしてその掲示板の前には小さな箱が用意されてあり、児童が自分で作った詩を書いて入れると、校長先生が筆で清書して張り出してくださるというシステムになっていた。私はそんな時間を割いてくれる校長先生のお気持ちが嬉しく、また自分の作った詩がきれいな字で書かれることも嬉しく、また公の目に触れることにドキドキしながらも嬉しさを感じよく投函していた。自分の作品を人々とシェアする喜びを教えてくださったのは、この校長先生だろう。

また小学生の頃はどこからか聞いた通信教育の短歌のクラスを取っていた。毎月作れるだけ作って、先生にお送りするのだが、先生からの添削の手紙を受け取ることが何よりも楽しみだった。


One edition of "Hototogisu" containing thousands of haiku (written in Japanese) submitted.

ホトトギス会が毎月出版している「ホトトギス」という句集。
提出された何千という(日本語の)俳句が載せられている。

漢和辞典や辞書をペラペラとめくるのが趣味の一つであったその頃の私は(今も好きだが)、心の琴線に触れる言葉に出会う度にあるノートに書き留めてきた。私にとって、それらは集めて楽しむシールや、ワッペンや、おはじきみたいなものだった。そのノートを時々眺めては、その言葉一つ一つが持っている独自の景色や煌めきを仰いできた。その中にはまだ体験していない言葉もあった。「まだ分からないけど、きっとこういう意味なんじゃないかな?いつか分かる時が来るだろうから、それまで大切に取っておこう」と思って書き留めたものもあった。大きくなっていく過程で、「あぁあの言葉はこういう時のためにあったのね」と思うこともあった。ある言葉に自分がぐんと近づけたときは単純に嬉しかったし、世界が広がったように思えた。「こうして語彙と経験が繋がっていくことが、人生かしら?」なんてティーンエイジャーなりに思っていた。そしてそれが悲しいことのときは、それを表現する言葉を誰かが既に作ってくれていたとうことに励まされた。「こういう風に感じたのは私だけじゃかったのね。人生の先輩が既に経験してそれを表す言葉まで作ってくれているのだから」と思うと寂しくなかった。

マウイのある知り合いにお誘い頂き、2010年の夏から毎月一度開かれる句会に参加させてもらっている。日本のホトトギス会に正式に認められた句会である。通常8名ほどの方が参加され、句会のルールに沿って進められ、お互いの句を鑑賞する。参加されている方は皆日本生まれで私より年上。人生経験が深い分皆さんの句は深い。中には戦後すぐにマウイに来られたという方もいらっしゃり、その頃のお話などを聞いているだけでもためになる。そして普段はなかなか話さない日本語の勉強にもなる。「日本語とはこんなにも美しい言語だったのかぁ」感心させられることが多々ある。

俳句というのは、五・七・五と詩としてはとても短い。その短さが私は好きだ。余計なものは全て振り切るその潔いシンプルさが美しい。しかし、そのシンプルさの中に実は膨大な量の情報が凝縮されている。それを読み取るのも醍醐味の一つだ。俳句とは煮詰めたスープのようなものだと思う。煮詰め過ぎてはダメになる。かと言って十分に煮詰めないと味は出ない。

異国の地にてこうして俳句作りに切磋琢磨できること、そしてすてきな俳句仲間に出会えたことを、心から有り難く思っている。


Some of my Haiku published in this book.
この句集に載った句のいくつか。

No comments:

Post a Comment